Chapter 9.

Sophie

I gestured at the small grey sofa and Namjoon sat down after taking a curious glance around my apartment. His gaze was stuck to my memory wall, filled with random pictures I'd taken over the years. With a frown, I realised that there were no pictures from this year.

Breaking the awkward silence, I asked Namjoon, "Tea or coffee?"

His gaze snapped to me as soon as he heard my voice, taking me in, and I suddenly remembered what I was wearing and that Namjoon had only ever seen me perfectly put-together. The sweatpants, the sweater and my messy bun only complimented the bags under my eyes, and the low energy I was running on ever since the term started.

"Coffee, please," Namjoon's deep voice filled each corner of the room as he dropped a paper bag on the table.

The sweet smell hit me even before he opened it and I could see Roz's logo on it. 

When I raised my brows at him, Namjoon looked at me sheepishly and said, "A peace offering."

I could never deny myself the deliciousness that is Roz's baking, so I grabbed two plates and carried them to the tiny coffee table, before hurrying back to the kitchen for Namjoon's coffee. My small apartment felt even stuffier when Namjoon's eyes didn't leave me for one second.

Peering into the bag I sat down on his right and put a croissant on each of our plates before handing one to Namjoon.

With him sitting on my sofa, there was barely any room left for me. When had this sofa become so small?

I watched Namjoon take a long sip of his steaming-hot coffee, before he said, "I'm sorry."

My mouth froze mid-bite, my mouth barely registering the sweet chocolate flavour as all my attention fixed on him.

"I'm really sorry, Sophie," Namjoon took another sip before raising his eyes to meet mine. Somehow I hadn't noticed the tiny gold specks sparkling in his deep, sincere brown eyes.

I had no idea what to say, so I just stared at him, swallowing slowly and reached for my tea. 

Namjoon ran a frustrated hand through his dark hair and continued. "I was a jerk and I shouldn't have said what I did. But the moment I saw you, I also saw Jin's disapproving look in the back of my mind. I panicked, and I didn't think things through."

With a knot still stuck in my throat, I nodded and squeezed a pillow to my chest.

Namjoon shifted until he was facing me completely, "Please don't for a second think my New Year's eve was anything but amazing. You were amazing. I never meant to say I didn't have fun with you, and somehow I'd managed to do exactly that."

Heat bloomed on my cheeks, and I couldn't even meet his stare. But doubt still shaded my mind. If he had had as much fun as he claimed now, he would never have uttered those words.

"Please stop thinking like that," my gaze snapped up at the sound of his voice and our eyes locked, "You were great - you are great, so please stop doubting yourself."

How the hell did he know what was going on in my mind?

I grabbed my mug to stop fidgeting. But I nodded. I might be acting stupid again, but I believed him. I could feel how sorry he was. I willed my mind to shut up over the fact that he'd just called me amazing like four times, but who's counting?

"Okay," I said, letting Namjoon see I meant it.

The smile I received in return literally lit up my small apartment. I was in my apartment, it just hit me. And Namjoon was currently sitting on my sofa, drinking coffee I'd made him. How on earth did I get to here?

"Friends?" Namjoon offered, bringing up his mug towards me.

I lifted mine, meeting his halfway as I said, "Friends."

Somehow the word felt like sandpaper against my mouth. Friends. The guy I'd made out with on New Years just offered to be my friend. I was in desperate need of some, so why did it feel wrong when I thought of Namjoon and friend together?

After a minute of comfortable silence, Namjoon asked me, "You don't have lessons right now, do you?"

Busted. I had to come up with an excuse, and quick.

But what could I possibly say? So I said the best thing I could think of, the truth. "No."

Namjoon smiled knowingly over the rim of his mug. 

"Don't worry, I don't blame you. I would have run out of there too, if I were you. I was an asshole."

I winced, not really sure what to reply, but he saved me the trouble of coming up with one.

"Well, I do have classes soon, so I have to go." Namjoon took one last sip of the coffee and I trailed my gaze over his throat, up to his jaw, and setting on his mouth. I had kissed that mouth not long ago. My core warmed at the memory of that kiss. The best kiss I'd ever had. Not even Eric, my ex, could compare to that one kiss.

I was too invested in tracing the exact curve of his lips to notice Namjoon's eyes on me until his lips started to turn up at the corners. 

Namjoon threw a satisfied, sexy smirk my way before standing up, "Thank you for hearing me out."

I smiled at him,  still a bit embarrassed that he'd caught me straight up staring at him, and a bit thrown off by the shiver his smirk had sent over my body. But my smile was genuine. 

"I'm glad I did," I said as I walked him over to the door, granted it only took him two steps before he stood in the hallway. "And thank you for the croissants."

Namjoon winked at me and turned on his feet, "Anytime."

I watched him disappear behind a corner, before closing my door and leaning against it. I was finally able to breathe properly again.

---

Namjoon

The chilled air slammed into me as I exited Sophie's apartment building.

I welcomed the fresh gust of air down my throat. That had been terrifying.

Thank god she's understanding. I have no idea what I'd have done if she wouldn't have listened to me.

I dialled Jimin as soon as I started my car. He answered on the first ring.

"So?"  Jimin immediately demanded.

"So what?" I chose to mess with him a bit. I mean, he was practically beaming with excitement to hear how my talk with Sophie went. 

"Don't so-what me," he grumbled back. I could hear some rustling in the back. Did he stop mid-date to talk to me? I smiled to myself, pleased I still came before the girl he was seeing this week.

"It's called building the tension," I countered.

Jimin sighed loudly and I laughed at how curious he was.

"It went great. Sophie and I are back to being friends," I could still feel the relief washing over me.

It was now Jimin's time to be annoying, "Back to being friends?" 

"It's an expression," I rolled my eyes at him and he chucked. I was pretty sure I'd somehow telepathically shown him that. I mean, after having lived together for two years, it's expected to know what your friends are thinking even when you can't see them.

"I'm happy to hear that," Jimin said, a feminine laugh echoing from somewhere, I guessed he just returned to his date, "I'll see you at home."

"Thanks for helping me," I say before ending the call and opening my car door. Just in time for my classes.