Bella's Birthday

Dani's POV

It's been six months since James died. In May Edward escorted Bella to prom. While I stayed home with Charlie. But it's now September and Bella's 18th birthday. Alice is throwing a small party at the Cullens house. Just for the Cullens, Bella and I. Anyway Charlie and I go to Bella's room to give her her presents.

"Happy birthday, Bells" Charlie says as we enter her room. I jump on her bed and give her a hug.

"Happy birthday big sister" I say.

"Dani, Dad we agreed, no gifts" she states.

"Neither of ours is wrapped" I tell her smugly.

"So they don't count" Charlie adds handing her the gifts from him and Renee.

"Okay, this is actually kind of great. Thanks, Dad" she says smiling as she examines the digital camera he'd given her.

"Goes with this one from your mom. We coordinated - well, she coordinated me" Charlie tells her. She opens the wrapped present to reveal a scrapbook. "To put your pictures in, record your senior year -- man, senior year. How'd you get so old so fast?" he asks her. I giggle, if only he knew I was over a hundred years old.

"Not that old" Bella grumbles.

"I don't know, is that a grey hair?" Charlie asks her.

"No, no way!" Bella exclaims and goes to examine her hair in the mirror. I giggle as Charlie chuckles.

"My mistake" he says and leaves.

"Not funny Dani" Bella grumbles as she sits back on the bed.

"Here you go, I have the other half" I state handing her a necklace. It's a half heart that says Big Sis  on it.

"I love it, thank you" she says as she puts it on

"I love it, thank you" she says as she puts it on. "I have to get to school, you behave" she tells me.

"Don't worry I was going to hunt" I tell her.

"Right, I sometimes forget you're a vampire" she says.

"It's fine, I play a human child well" I say shrugging. "See you tonight" I say and go to my room. I prepare for my solo hunt. Once Charlie left for work and Bella went to school. I went into the woods to hunt.

(Time skip to nighttime at the Cullens)

I'm standing with the others in the living room. Edward is upstairs with Bella in Carlisle's study. Alice went to collect them. I'm wearing a dress for a change. Alice made me wear it and Rosalie plaited my hair. I'm playing with my Lil Sis necklace.

Alice soon appears with Edward and Bella. "Sorry about all this. We tried to rein Alice in" Carlisle tells Bella.

"Like that's even possible. Happy birthday, Bella" Esme says giving her a hug. FLASH! Alice has snapped a picture of Bella with them.

"Found it in your bag. Mind?" Alice asks her. Bella shakes her head. I rush over and hug her waist. As Emmett talks to Edward.

"My turn" I say with a smile. Bella smiles and Alice takes the photo. "Print two copies please Bella" I tell her. She nods her head. Rosalie hands her a gift.

"It's a necklace. Alice picked it out" she states.

"I thought we agreed to leave grumpy Rose upstairs?" I ask her. She gives me a sheepishly smile as Bella thanks her. Alice pushes Edward over to Bella.

"Show me the love" she sings as she holds up the camera. Edward hugs Bella smiling down at her as Alice takes the photo. "For your scrapbook. Now open your other presents" she states. Alice drags Bella over to a table piled with elaborately wrapped gifts, a huge cake and a tall stack of china plates.

"Alice, I'm the only one who even eats cake. That thing could feed fifty" Bella tells her.

"I hope your hungry then sister" I say smiling.

"This one is from Emmett" Alice adds handing her a box shaped gift. The others crowd around... Jasper somewhat away. Bella, nofan of being the center of attention, opens the gift to findan empty car-radio box.

"Um thanks" she says confused.

"Already installed it in your truck" he tells her with a smile. "Finally, a decent sound system in that piece of..." he starts to say.

"Hey, no hating on the truck" Bella tells him and he holds his hands up in surredenr. "Thank you Emmett" she says.

"Open Esme and Carlisle's next" I suggest handing it to her.

"Just a little something to brighten your day" Carlisle tells her.

"Yes, you've been looking rather pale lately" Esme states. Bella smiles at them and starts to open the gift. When she gets a paper cut.

"Ow, paper cut!" she says and I stop breathing. Trying to control myself. Jasper suddenly goes wild and tries to attack Bella. But Edward pushing Bella behind him harshly as Emmet catches Jasper with Carlisle.

"Jas... Jas! Shhh, shhhh. It's okay. It's just a little blood" Alice says. But I smell more blood then before. We turn to see Bella's arm bleeding.

"Emmet get Jasper and Dani out of her" Carlisle states. He rushes over to Bella putting pressure on her wound.

"I'm fine, deal with Jasper" I say through gritted teeth. Emmett reins himself in, elbows Rosalie. They drag thesnarling Jasper out. Esme holds her nose, politely exitswith the others. Alice looks at Bella, apologetically.

"I'm sorry, I... can't" she says and leaves the room. She slips out the door. Edward's still on guard as Carlisle examines Bella's arm.

"I'll have to stitch this up" Carlisle states. "I will take care of her, Edward. Check on Jasper. Go" he says and Edward leaves the room. I follow Carlisle to his study where he starts to treat Bella. I stay by the door way.

"I sure can kill a party" Bella mutters as Carlisle pulls glass out of her arm.

"It's not your fault Bella" I state.

"She's right, Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us. Then again neither has Dani" Carlisle states.

"Yes, but unlike Jasper. I hunted this morning" I tell them.

"How do you do it?" Bella asks him.

"Years and years of practice" he tells her.

"Did you ever think of... living differently?" I ask him curious.

"No, I enjoy my work too much. Helping people, saving lives. It brings me happiness. I'm hoping there's a point to my existence, even if I am damned" he states.

"Damned? Like hell? Carlisle, you can't be damned. You couldn't, it's impossible" Bella tells him and I nod my head in agreement. He gives us a smile as he begins to stitch up her arm.

"Thank you, Bella. You always been very gracious about us" he states. "But Edward doesn't believe there's an afterlife for our kind. He thinks we've lost our souls" he explains.

"So, that's it? That's why he won't change me? He thinks he'd be damning me?" she asks him.

"Imagine the situation in reverse. If you believed as Edward does, would you take away his soul?" he asks as he burns the blood soaked clothes. "You're all done" he states. Bella thanks him and we go downstairs. We're meet by Edward and he drives us home in Bella's truck.

A/N

Picture above of the party and picture on the external link of Carlisle tending to Bella's arm. Picture in chapter of Dani's gift to Bella.