3

It's always raining when I'm with you

______________________________________________________________________________

Of course I didn't want to call right away, that would be awkward. I settled that I would give Matt a call Thursday, the day before you plan to meet him and Mello. That should be enough of a time gap so they wouldn't suspect me. I went to the kitchen and put down my shopping bag, getting out a chicken Ramen noodle cup. I filled it with hot water as I let the noodles magically cook by itself. While I was waiting, I got out a glass and opened the fridge. I took out some juice and poured it into my cup. I sipped my drink, looking out the window. I fixed my gaze on the clouds, and the rain that poured down from them. I opened the widow, letting the nice cool breeze in, filling my lungs with the fresh spring aroma. I pondered there for a few minutes, just enjoying the breeze till I eventually checked up on my noodles. I got out some chopsticks from the drawer, began eating, and continued to admire the day. Others would call this weather gloomy, I would call it peaceful. I finished up and threw the Styrofoam cup away, putting my utensils in the sink. I walked out into the living room, turning on the TV. I don't watch it much. I'm not one to really pay attention to what goes on around the world. If it doesn't concern me, then I'm not one to care. It's just the same crummy old world. I don't even have friends to care about. I got so wrapped up in school that I didn't really have time for friends. I sat down, and stared at the screen. "Kira has still been striking. Over 200 criminals, dead in just one night!" The TV reporter stated, papers in his hands. "Is this justice, or does Kira just want us to believe this? L is still on the case with the Japanese police, working with them as we speak." I knew about Kira, and I didn't really have a grudge against him, but I didn't praise him like others. I do believe really bad criminals should be put to death because there's no use in changing something you can't fix, and the crime ratings have been low, but he's also the one to decide who dies or not. That's not justice at all.

I hear my mom come through our apartment door. "Hi honey! Did you have a good day?" She said with a smile, and her same old cheery voice. Her voice alone was enough to make any room light up. "Yeah, It was alright. I'm gonna go study in my room. I have an exam coming up Monday." I said turning off the TV looking up at her with a smile. "Alright. Don't work yourself too hard, kiddo." She walked over to me, and gave me a hug, kissing my forehead. "I won't," I replied, hugging her back. I went to the kitchen first and grabbed my m&ms before I retired to my bedroom. I walked inside my bedroom, closing my door. I sat at my desk, and opened my textbook. I turned on my desk lamp light and grabbed a pencil in the process. "I have to Ace this." I said with determination. "I have to try harder than I have been. No more crummy B's." I furrowed my brow, reading the textbook, and writing notes about the topic so the information could be implanted in my memory.

______________________________________________________________________________

After 2 hard hours of work, I think I got it down. I closed my textbook and turned off my desk lamp. I got out my pajamas and walked to the bathroom to take a bath. I closed the bathroom door, putting my clothes on the sink counter getting out a towel for myself. I filled up the bathtub with hot water and soap because, why not have a bubble bath? The bathroom was probably one of my favorite places in the house, (Weird enough I know). The bathroom had a baby pink tile floor with a matching pink colored bathtub and sink, but the walls were a creamy white color. We had shelves where we had a few plants, and a tiny window by the bathtub with a white lace curtain. Our apartment was on the second floor, so I got a view of the town wherever I took a bath. I undressed myself and got in the tub, the warm water feeling welcoming against my cold skin. I looked out the window, gazing into the city.
______________________________________________________________________________

A few days pass, and I find myself walking home from school on a surprisingly sunny Thursday afternoon. I had finally gotten my chocolate bar without running into Mello again. (thank god.)

I was walking home from school when I remembered something. I had to call Matt today so I could tell him what time I was going to meet him at the location he gave me so I could talk about potentially joining in on the mafia. I felt in my coat pocket for the slip of paper he had given me with the number. I got it out along with my phone. I dialed the number into the phone as it rang in the process. I could feel my heartbeat increase with every long beep. All of a sudden, I could hear someone pick up. "Y'ello? This is Matt. State your business." I gripped the phone with confidence as I spoke, trying oh so hard not to stutter like an idiot. "Hey Matt, this is ____. The person you picked up a few days ago?" It was silent for a few moments, then he spoke again. "Yeah! I remember you! I didn't think you'd actually call. Whatcha' calling for anyways?" "I was wondering if I could meet you at the location you gave me on the paper? The one you gave me that evening with the number? I would like to talk about potentially joining the mafia if that's alright with you." You couldn't believe you were actually saying this. Of all things, you? A member of the mafia? Where you going to drop college, and move out? Leave your mom, the only family you knew who loves you unconditionally for some guy who probably hates your guts? You still didn't know yourself. There was a part of you that just woke up when you first saw Mello. A part of you, that you didn't even know existed.

"Yeah! Of course, what time?" You snapped out of your thoughts when Matt spoke, remembering your schedule and what time you got out of your last class. "Does 3:00 in the afternoon sound like a push?" You stated. "No, not at all. Can't wait to speak with you! Also, just one more thing. You're probably going to have to get Mellos approval before you even get in. I'm more like a sidekick of sorts, not the actual boss." Well shit. You were going to have to impress this guy one way or another, so you thought of the best way possible. Reading up about everything in the mafia. You weren't good with guns, but you were very good at retaining information. "Alright, that sounds good. See you then." you heard a "Byeee." Then he hung up. You closed your phone and put it in your pocket. It was off to the library. You picked up "Manhattan Mafia guide", "Mobbed up", and "Five families" at the library. You put the books in your backpack and walked out. You got home and plugged in your laptop, opening it preparing for an all nighter. You weren't going to school tomorrow, in fact, you weren't going to go to college at all from this day forward. You knew you wouldn't be able to keep up with college and be a member of the mafia at the same time. Plus, even one of the rules about the mafia is that you always need to be present/open at any time of the day. You had previously packed your stuff, because there was no way in hell that you were going to tell your very own mother that you dropped out of college to join a gang. You had previously taken all of your money out of your savings to get a 1 bedroom apartment, close enough to the mafia base during that same week. After reading the books you had checked out, writing notes, learning the rules, and chugging energy drinks through the night in order to stay awake, you had finally learned as much as you could. You glanced at your alarm clock. It was 6:28 am. The sun was already starting to rise, so you closed your computer and shut off your desk lamp. Your mom left for work around 7, and she knew you usually leave around 7:45. If you were still sleeping around this time it wouldn't be suspicious to her. You plop onto your bed and immediately fall into a deep sleep. Tomorrow was the day, and you were ready for anything.

Or so you thought.

______________________________________________________________________________