5

It’s always raining when I’m with you 

______________________________________________________________________________

Your breath was heavy. You looked back into his fiery eyes, heart racing in response to what was happening. 

“Yes, boss.” He let go of your chin, and stepped back. “Are you guys done?” Matt interrupted, not looking up from his Gameboy. “Oh..Yeah. Follow me.” Mello said, leading you into the main room. You walk into a room with other mafia members, mostly grown men in which they are sitting on a big zebra print leather couch. There was a short but long table in the middle with chocolate bars, cigars, liquor, and some illegal substances. There was one big picture of Mother Mary on the wall. It sure is strange that a mafia boss is mainly Catholic. You thought. Doesn't he feel guilty doing all this? You glanced at the rosary on his neck, then looking back up to him. “This is the main room of the warehouse.” He stated, plopping himself on the couch, taking a candybar. You sat across from him, looking at the floor until you finally spoke. “What should I do? I’m better at research and finding information that I am with a firearm.” He looked up at you, taking a bite of the chocolate with a snap. “Well, that’s perfect, because that’s what we need. Someone to get more information on the Kira investigation.” You nodded, and he crossed his legs. “When would you like me to start?” You said looking up at him. He smiled, which made you nervous, but you ignored this feeling and brushed it off. “Tomorrow. 2:00. Don’t be late.” 

  “Alright. Thank you..” You got up, getting your bag, expecting to leave when he stopped you. “Wait.” Mello got up, and you turned around, stopping in your tracks. “Everyone else, leave this room. Now.” Everyone else vacated the room, leaving you and Mello alone. The tension was thick. The place you felt nervous in at first with a bunch of big grown men compared to this made you miss their presence. He slowly walked towards you, making a loud thud noise against the metal floor with his boots, echoing in your ears. 

   “We still have some business to attend to.” He grabbed your wrist, leading you to the couch once again. You sat by him, your body stiff. “I would like to talk to you more about the Kira investigation.” 

  “Oh, right. Of course..please continue.” You said looking back up at him, relaxing your tense muscles a bit. “Have you heard of the Death note?” He asked, taking a bite of his chocolate bar. 

 “No, I have not. I’ve heard bits and pieces about the investigation on the news, but I never knew of this notebook. Is Kira using this ‘Death note’ to kill his victims?” 

 “Yes, precisely. This notebook is a killer notebook. You write people's names into it and then they supposedly die of a heart attack just like that.” He stated, snapping his fingers. Huh. That explains a lot. You nodded and he continued. “I have a theory. There are two notebooks out there, ones with the NPA, ones with Kira. We're going to take both of them.” 

 “How are we going to do that?” You said, shifting your body more towards Mello. “With your help. Your job is to find out more information about the investigation, and sneak in.” He said, crumpling up the now finished chocolate bar wrapper.  “So, a spy.” You said, now crossing your legs. “Exactly. That isn’t going to be a problem..Is it?” He smirked slightly at you, giving you that same look with his eyes that made your heart almost beat out of your chest. “No boss, I will not fail you.” You said with a confident tone of voice, clenching your fists. But in reality, you were terrified. “Alright. That will be all. You will start tomorrow, 2:00 pm sharp. Don’t be late.” You nodded and then got up. “Y’know if you want..” He said standing up, putting his hands in his pockets. “I could give you a ride home.” 

 “Sure! Thanks a lot.” You smiled at him, which made him slightly blush. “Yeah, No problem. Follow me.” He walked in front of you, and you did as he instructed which led you to a garage with a red beat up car, and a slick black motorcycle. “Here.” He said, throwing you a helmet which you gladly caught. He got his helmet on, and started up the motorcycle . You hopped on, telling him your address. He nodded in return. “There are no handles, so you're going to have to hold onto me.” You put your arms around his waist, face growing hot in reaction at how close you guys were. You took off, heading towards your new apartment. You clenched tighter onto his waist, making your torso lean into his back. “You okay back there?” He said, slightly turning his face towards you. 

  “Yeah, It’s just..this is the first time I’ve ever been on a motorcycle.” 

   “You want me to go slower?” You nodded and he did as you asked. You didn’t get it. When we first met, he acted like he hated your guts. But now, he was being nice, flirty even. You liked the attention of course, but you just had so many questions. Was he being nice just to get close to you, so he could use you, just throw you away after the investigation was solved? You suddenly stopped at the apartment complex, the roaring engine fading when the motorcycle came to a stop. 

 “This the place?” Mello asked, looking towards you. You took off the helmet, giving it back to him. “Yeah, thanks again.” 

  “Yeah, no problem. Remember, I'll see you tomorrow, same place. 2:00.” He said, starting up his engine again. “Alright.” You waved to him as he drove off, watching him fade away into the distance. You sighed and entered the apartment complex, taking the elevator up to your room. You clicked the little fluorescent yellow button reading ‘3’ to go to your floor. You wait there in silence, alone with only your thoughts to accompany you. You thought about Mellos' behavior and how much it had changed within just meeting him. He acted so irritated when you first met, like you were less than a maggot. (See what I did there?) But then, all of a sudden his mood and personality changed just like that, when he found out you were actually going to be of some use to him. The thought of him throwing you away after the Kira investigation was over, after he got what he wanted made your stomach go up in knots. I guess we’ll just have to see what the future holds for me. 

    The elevator came to a halt, making you forget your train of thought. You got off the elevator and walked along the tan carpet to your room. ‘108’ It had read as you put the key in, turning the knob. You walked inside turning on the lights of your new apartment. There were boxes everywhere, not much furniture ether. One small circle shaped table with 2 light brown wooden chairs, and a black recliner. The kitchen was a bit small. It had one white fridge, a metal sink, oven, a microwave. There were dark grey countertops with light grey cupboards up above and under the sink. There were dark brown wooden floors no matter what room you were in, and in my room I had my desk, my lamp, and a mattress on the ground. I hadn't gotten to unpacking yet, just the bare minimum so I could sleep, eat and work. Other times I’ll be out of the apartment with Mello, or getting groceries. 

  This was your life now. You though, resting your body against the door. You sunk down the door slowly, closing your eyes, smiling. 

 I’m going to live for him, and I’m going to love it. 

______________________________________________________________________________