ii. comfort

You felt your heart shatter as your mother hung up the phone, leaving you in silence as you tried to process what she had just informed you of.

This couldn't be real.

You set your phone down next to you as you felt the tears gather in your eyes, allowing them to freely flow down your face. You pulled your knees close to your chest, wrapping your shaky hands around them as you let out a small sob and rested your head on your knees.

Your mother had called to inform you that your grandmother had just passed unexpectedly. She knew that this information was going to be very hard for you to process as you and your grandmother had always been super close while you were growing up. When you were a child there were many weeks that your parents had to travel for work so you would stay with your grandparents until they returned.

During these weeks, your favorite thing to do with your grandmother was to practice your baking. She used to work at a bakery so she of course had to teach you all the secrets she knew so you could take your kitchen skills to the next level. Even to this day every time you would visit your grandparents you would always find yourself in the kitchen with your grandmother, making some kind of delicious dessert.

You were so lost in your thoughts that you hadn't realized someone had entered your room until you felt the bed dip and a hand being placed on one of your arms. You allowed yourself to glance up slightly, seeing Loki sitting in front of you, his eyes giving away his worry for you.

"Y/N, what's wrong my love?" Loki's voice was soft and gentle which ultimately caused you to break down completely.

Without hesitation Loki pulled you into his arms and you accepted his comfort, gripping his shirt in your hands as he gently rubbed your back. You couldn't help yourself as you sobbed in his arms, overwhelmed with several emotions.

Although you felt thankful for the many years you were able to spend with your grandmother and for all the things she had taught you, sorrow and despair were the primary emotions that filled you right now.

You felt Loki kiss your head as he whispered words of comfort to you, but your scattered and broken thoughts weren't really processing what he was saying. The last interaction with your grandmother kept replaying through your mind as you wished you could see her one more time and tell her how much you loved her. The thoughts of never being able to see her heartwarming smile or hear her soothing voice came like a slap in the face.

You hadn't noticed that Loki was calling your name until he had to raise his voice just slightly to finally get your attention. You now saw that Loki had moved so he was sitting in front of you, his hands gently holding your face as your eyes finally met his worried ones. You realized that you must have been so caught up in your thoughts that your mind had blocked out everything around you.

"Y/N, you're scaring me. Please tell me what's going on," Loki's voice was still gentle but you could sense his worry and urgency as well. You began to try and steady your breathing as Loki grabbed your hand in one of his, while his other hand gently wiped your tears away. He waited patiently as you managed to calm yourself down a bit so you could explain to him what had happened.

"M-My Grandma," you started, closing your eyes and taking another deep breath to keep yourself calm, "She's gone."

Your words were almost a whisper but Loki heard them clearly, realizing exactly what you meant. He knew how close you were with your grandmother as he witnessed your relationship first hand every time he came with you to visit your family. He couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness as well, remembering how kind your grandmother was to him even though he wasn't anything like the rest of your family. She never failed to make everyone around her feel welcome and loved and Loki knew that he would miss her as well.

Loki once again pulled you into his arms, allowing you to rest your head against his chest; not caring that your tears had dampened his shirt.

"I-I didn't get to say goodbye," you stammered, "I didn't get to tell her I love her-"

"Shh darling, she knows. I promise you she knows," Loki spoke softly as he could tell that you were working yourself into a panic. You nodded against his chest as he continued to rub your back and place the occasional kiss on your head.

You sat in Loki's arms for a number of minutes, allowing yourself to begin to calm down and relax as your exhaustion started to make itself known.

"My family," you finally spoke, glancing up at Loki who met your gaze, "I'll need to be with them."

"Of course," Loki replied, moving his hand to your cheek so he could wipe the last of your tears away, "And you will be, but we'll worry about that in the morning okay? It's late and you need to get some rest."

You nodded knowing that Loki was right as you could feel yourself growing tired. You also realized how hot you felt and noticed a headache starting to set in; only making you want to sleep more so you wouldn't have to deal with it.

You and Loki both adjusted so that you were lying comfortably and he quickly flicked the lights off. As soon as Loki laid back down, he pulled you close to him and you rested your head against his chest once more.

It was times like this when you were thankful for Loki's naturally cool temperature as you could already feel that it was keeping your headache from growing worse. Loki alternated from rubbing your back to gently running his hand through your hair, both gestures soothing you to sleep.

Just as you were on the verge of sleep you heard Loki whisper a quiet, "Goodnight Y/N, I love you". You would have replied with an 'I love you' as well, but sleep had won that race.

It was a good thing he already knew.

—☽✰♥✧—

angeliclxki