xii. stormy

since soph and i have both had tornado warnings in our towns recently i decided to make a story about it ( kinda )

You sighed, snuggling down into your bed as the chill from the rainy night drifted through your slightly cracked window. You could hear the rain gently hitting your house and the sound was calming, allowing you to relax into Tom; who had fallen asleep almost half an hour ago.

You shifted into a more comfortable position before closing your eyes and allowing yourself to fall asleep.

—☽✰♥✧—

You were woken up to a loud crash and you jumped a little as you quickly sat up, feeling your heart rate rise.

You could hear that the rain outside had gone from a soft patter to a full downpour and you realized the sound you heard must have been thunder. To confirm your suspicions lightning flashed through your window, brightening your room significant for a moment. You waited on edge for the thunder that was to follow, counting the seconds until the dreaded crash interrupted your concentration on the numbers.

You jumped again despite having expected the noise and you ran your fingers through your hair as you tried to calm yourself down.

'It's just thunder,' you told yourself, 'I shouldn't be this scared.'

You took another deep breath closing your eyes as another lighting lit up your room. You stiffened knowing that the thunder would be next and you hoped for a quieter rumble when it happened.

This time you couldn't help the small whimper like sound that escaped your lips as the crash of thunder seemed to almost shake your house. Just as you thought you were about to panic, you felt Tom shift next to you and then a
hand was gently placed on your arm.

"Hey," he called softly sitting up as he moved his hand to your back, "What's wrong darling?"

Before you could even begin to explain to him about the storm, lighting flashed once more and you tensed. Tom immediately understood why you were upset and his face softened from concern to loving sympathy but he didn't get a chance to say anything before the thunder made itself known again.

You flinched, your grip tightening on the blankets that laid across your lap before Tom pulled you close to him; gently kissing the top of your head.

"It's okay my love," he spoke as he guided the two of you to lay down once again, adjusting so that you could rest against his chest; his fingers running through your hair. You could already feel yourself beginning to relax now that Tom held you close to him.

Although you felt much safer in his arms, you couldn't help but flinch at every thunder that broke through the silent night. You could still feel your heart beating rapidly as you
tried concentrated on breathing, rather than the thunder.

"You're okay," Tom spoke, kissing your head again.

A small pause filled the air before he began to speak again and after a moment you realized he was quoting a Shakespearean play; a small smile formed on your lips as you listened.

You almost had no idea what he was saying as words you never heard or used spilled from his lips, but you didn't mind because now your focus was on him and not the storm outside. The thunder had become background noise as you listened to Tom, his voice already lulling you to sleep.

You relaxed completely into his arms, allowing sleep to finally take over your exhausted mind and body as Tom continued to recite the play.  Even after you were asleep he continued for a little longer just to make sure you were comfortable before he pulled you closer to him and drifted off as well.

—☽✰♥✧—

angeliclxki