Explore

Chapter Three

The first thing I felt was betrayal. Then hurt, pain, anger, rage, and confusion. Why the hell was life so confusing?

I turned back to the mirror, seeing myself again, normal, with a mix of emotions spilling out of my eyes like a flood. I was quick to repaint my face into a guarded expression, not wanting Pitch to see more of my vulnerability than he already had, even though it was pointless. He’d already seen too much. “Why have have you shown me this, nightmare king?” I asked formally, knowing that my formality was to be insulting, the way I addressed him  was as if I had never met him before, and was meeting him for the first time.

Pitch smiled ruefully, enjoying my pain. Sadistically, like he should, as he enjoys watching people wither in fear of nightmares and fear. “I have shown you your future, your only future.” He laughed, hateful and destructive, “Now just be a good little girl and accept it.”

Finally, my anger was too much, and I blew my top. Flinging out my hands, I called the wind to blow him into the corner and blast me out of the cavern.

I blacked out as soon as I exited the hole, but not before I saw the moon, and I felt hatred, and a  rush of other angry emotions, flooding my mind before it went blank.

When I came to, I didn’t step into reality yet. My soul was visiting the only child that ever saw me. I knew this memory would lift me for a minute, then crush me like a bug. But, I had no choice but to watch.

“Who are you?” The little girl asked, her eyes as warm and rich as the ground we stood upon.

I was merely taken back the question. I pointed at myself, not knowing if she could see me.

“Yes,” She huffed angrily, “You. What’s your name, and why are you dressed in furs?”

Her question made me look at my dress, the one I was created in. A blue-grey fur dress hung on my shoulder by one strap, then it was cut to reveal a little of my side, and then it stopped mid-thigh. I looked at the girl, her dress made of manmade cloth, decorated with burgundy patterns, the length of the dress to her ankles, with long sleeves and a tight scoop neck.

“I am Conscious.” I answered. “I am a guardian.”

She laughed and shook her head. “What has gotten into you? Look, Ms Conscious, you shouldn’t wear such a skimpy dress, it would bring shame on you and your family, and only men can be guardians at our town. Come with me and I’ll fetch you something appropriate.”

I looked at my fur garment and though, it couldn’t hurt, but then something else popped in my mind. There would be adults, and other children that don’t believe in me. “No, that would cause trouble, I cannot.” I picked up a fruit that I was saving for later and passed it to the child, “But take this as a thank you for your kindness, but do not keep it for yourself.”

She looked at me like I was crazy. “Of course not, it will to my brothers first.”

“No, child. Give it to a poor boy or girl on the street. Tell them to bring it to their family, and share the fruit. Show someone else the kindness you showed me.”

I let the fruit slid into her small hands and smiled. “Before I go, what is your name, child?”

“Constance.” She giggled, holding the fruit to her chest. “Kind of like your name, Conscious.”

I smiled and touched her nose. “May the Moon shine on you, Constance.”

“Your a weird lady,” She muttered smiling, and then turned and ran to the city, only to look back as she watched me be caught by the winds and blown up into the sky.