Where the Ice Melts

Chapter 11

“So, because you are going to…” Toothiana paused, not really willing to speak that I was dying aloud yet, “You tried cutting ties with us, and then you’re assuming Pitch said something to Jack, and he snapped, froze the cottage-and you-solid, and flew off to who knows where?”

“Yes.” I murmured, voice still hoarse. I’d been defrosting over the past five days, switching in and out of coma-like sleep like a finicky light switch.

My brother sat, his feet dangling over the edge of the platform in Tooth’s home. I, myself, was propped up against some warm pillows North had Bunnymund brought me, as he couldn’t leave his workshop, his reindeer downed and all. He couldn’t come through the portal either because they were creating havoc with the Yetis. “I would like to say it sounds far-fetched,” Toothiana spoke.

“But, we know you, we know Jack, and we defiantly know Pitch. I believe you.” Bunnymund spoke, positioning another blanket over my frozen limbs.

I wish I could feel them again.

Bunnymund hopped around, before turning to the others and announcing he was going back to the Workshop to help North round up all the rambunctious reindeer. They all nodded, and he left quickly. Manny sighed, hanging his head. “I couldn’t protect you little sister. I am sorry.” He apologized, his voice so weak and quiet I had to strain my ears to hear him.

“No…worries.” I began, my voice cracking a little because of the non-use of it. “You…did you’re…best. So thank…you…”

I smiled weakly, because I barely had feeling in my cheeks. My left one was still mostly frosted by ice. “No!” He roared, standing up abruptly, turning and storming towards me, shaking an accusing finger at me. “I’m your brother, and by that, I am entitled to protect you, and I failed! So you…You…just…”

He lost steam, and feel by my side. “I don’t want to lose you. We’ve already lost Pitch, so I just though, I don’t want to be alone. I can’t lose you. I’ll be at a lost.”

I slowly pulled my arms out from the heavy blankets and wrapped them around my brother loosely, and he hugged me back, tight. “I won’t go. I’ll be with you in spirit, but in body, I’ll vanish.” I told him, trying to lessen his guilt and pain.

“But…I don’t want you to die. I want to be able to still talk to you Conscious.” He said, voice wavering with emotion. “I don’t want you to leave.”

I felt Toothiana join in on our hug, and she decided to agree with Manny. “You are my only friend who is a girl, and I think you need to understand that if you disappear, we all will be affected as well. Not just us. Bunnymund, and North, and even though it doesn’t seem like he would care, Jack. The world would be affected as well, Conscious. You can give up now.”

“It’s not…a matter…whether I give up…or not…it’ a matter of…believing. I’ve never been…believed in, and I…accept that…I have gotten thousands…of years on this…planet…If it’s time for a…new guardian to take…my place, I shall…vacate it…for them.” I told them, dropping my arms back to my sides, breathing hard from all the talking I had just taken part in.

I suddenly ensued into a coughing fit, hacking horribly, both Tooth and Manny backed off from the hug. “Are you alright, Conscious?” Manny asked, placing a tentative hand on my shoulder.

I nodded simply, not willing to talk, with my throat working on raw.

“Get away from her, that traitor.”

The voice rang from a platform above us, and my heart froze up. My tear watered. Tooth pulled me into a tighter hug, glaring at him. “Get out of here, Jack. You were the one who almost killed her!” Tooth yelled back, her nails biting into my numb skin.