Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Thoughts clouded my mind, and they seemed like they came in order, but I was too tired to focus on that. I just knew they repeated.

And repeated.

I needed to sleep, to sort out my thoughts in a world less complicated, where impending death didn’t loom. I had accepted that once I faded, I would die. I would die, and if I was lucky, I would return as a human.

I felt reality begin to slip, and soon, my dream world wrapped around, and I was in my field of cats.

“What troubles you so?” Etre asked, tilting her head to the side.

At first, I felt surprised, shocked that they knew what I was feeling. Then I felt stupid, and shook my head. “Stupid things that don’t concern me any longer. I should just ignore it, and wait until I am finished fading.” I said. “I need to cut my ties with everyone so no one gets hurt by my passing.”

“So, you are going to hurt them by backstabbing them?” Etre asked, confusion making her shake her head, ears pulled all the way back. “You’d rather have them hate you then have them mourn your death?”

I nodded, “I’d rather they hated me then to have my death sadden them. If they hate me, then when I die, they might feel relieved.”

“Are you sure?” Etre asked, lying down in the soft grass below us. “Are you alright with receiving all that hate?”

I nodded. “It’s better that way. I can handle the hate-I don’t know if they can handle the sadness of my death. I know Tooth would be sad, my brother would be sad. North might be sad…Bunnymund is a lost cause. I think he hates me. And then there is…”

“Jack Frost?”

I nodded, stroking Etre’s silky fur. “Yeah.” I said, barley above a whisper.

I sighed, and looked at the fake sun my dream world held. “Well, I shouldn’t postpone this any longer. Time to call in Pitch.”

~Pitch’s POV~

I was a little shocked when I felt her mind call to mine, but then the instant satisfaction of being the king swarmed into my thoughts. Yes. Yes. Yes!

I followed the path her mind etched for mine, and entered her dream world. The happiness the world use to have that made it uncomfortable to be here was replaced with understanding and an eerie sadness.

“Hello, Pitch.” Her voice wavered, but remained strong, her silvery gaze starting hard into my face. “Welcome back to my dream world.”

I nodded in acknowledgment, looking around for her dreaded cats. Man, I hated those things. So stupidly fearless. “Have you reconsidered my deal?” I asked, jumping straight to business.

“Yes, I have.” She said truthfully, her searching gaze finally directed away from me, and to the bright sun, now near setting in the distance. “I’m going to…”

She broke off, rubbing her temples, eyes watering, like she was going to start crying. I internally cursed her for her dramatic crybaby-like attitude, but I needed her to finish my plans…

Conscious POV(There is going to be a lot of POVs jumps. Sorry!)

“I’m going to…”

I felt shame rush through me, for abandoning my friends, so I remained silent for a while, reeling in my tears, and rubbing my temples, a throbbing headache beginning.