Running Away, Looking Back

-Chapter Five-

It seemed I ‘awake’ a lot. So today, I got up. I sat up, shivering, my teeth chattering so loudly, I am sure it was a beacon to any hungry wild animal that didn’t mind guardian flesh. I heard the crunch of snow behind me, and I whipped around to see Jack.

“W-What?” I asked through my chattering.

The edge of his smile pulled up higher on one side, his smile taking on a smug look. “Having fun, Conscious?” He asked.

I glared at him, and tried to stand. That failed, because the second I got to my knees, I lost all feeling in my legs and collapsed into the snow, shivering harder than before. Jack rushed over and placed a slightly chilled blanket around my shoulders. “Your lips and blue. We better get you back to North’s workshop.” He picked me up, carrying me bridal style, flew up into the sky.

“N-No.” I protested weakly. “I c-c-can’t go back th-th-there.”

He stopped, hovering in mid-air. “Why not? It’s warmer in there.”

Then I shook my head slowly, not being able to move it more quickly. “N-No...I don’t.”

I turned my head to the side, and looked into the distance. The sun was close to setting, meaning I would see the blood red moon again. “What is wrong? You can tell me.” Jack said, sounding curious.

I looked him in the eyes and pulled myself out of his arms, but held onto his shoulders so I wouldn’t fly away in the wind. “You wouldn’t understand.” I let go, and flew backwards, the wind flinging me towards the setting sun.

After a couple seconds of thinking it over, Jack started to fly after me, but the wind was too strong, and he was out of sight within seconds.

~Toothiana POV~

I was worried about Conscious since I first met her. At first I thought she was a new guardian, and then to find out she was Man in the Moon’s sister, she seemed off.

Like how she acted about certain subjects, like when I told her she was like Jack, and she stopped talking in the middle of the sentence. I think she is hiding something from us, but I don’t think it has anything to do with Pitch, but I am not certain.

I hope she is alright, though.

“Tooth, quit pacing will ya?” Bunnymund asked to my left, tossing a boomerang up and down.

I fluffed out my feathers and turned on him. “I am worried about her! She is my friend, and I will pace until she is back here, and she is alright.”

Bunnymund stopped playing with the enchanted weapon, and looked me straight in the eyes. “Well, Jack isn’t back with her yet, so sit down and preserve some of your energy, and calm down.”

Just as he finished, a window behind us opened and out stepped Jack. And only Jack.

“Where is she?” I asked, unfolding my arms.

There was a silence, where his gaze touched on all of us before he turned his eyes to mine. He shrugged, “She took off.”

Manny finally spoke for the first time since she jumped out the window. “It’s my fault. I am stupid to think she doesn’t know when I am lying. I am stupid to think she can dismiss...it like I think she can. I am sorry.”

“Why are you here, you never told us?” North asked, handing Manny some Egg Nog. “She might of assumed why you are here, and why the moon is red, and she is angry about it.”

He took a sip of the drink and shrugged and turned his dazzling almost white eyes to us. “I have no idea. She isn’t the one to just assume something. I know why she is running away though, and she’s...” He chuckled softly, his eyes dropping again, looking like he was recalling a memory, before he dropped his shoulders in somewhat of a defeat.