Struggle

Author Note:

So in this chapter I will try to explore Naruto's thought about what happened before Momoshiki attacked Konoha.

I believe a person like Naruto who holds bond seriously would someway affected by Boruto's angry words and guilt from his mistake with the cake.

Curious? Well, what are you waiting for? Onto the chapter!

Declaimer: All characters in Naruto and Boruto series belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Ukyo Kodachi respectively.

This chapter is not beta'd.

Enjoy!

0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

Naruto watched his children chattering happily to each other while Hinata took out the dishes from the lunch basket. They were currently having lunch in his hospital room, a small table was brought from the lobby to put the dishes that Hinata cooked from home.

Sakura was satisfied with his progress as he managed to stay up longer than a few minutes, and allowed the Uzumakis to have a small lunch in his hospital room per Himawari's request to eat with her father, as long as they didn't tire him out. For the past four days, Hinata and the kids been back and forth from home to the hospital to visit him, since the hospital only allowed short visits as he got tired pretty easily so it's been a while since he got to eat with his family.

Hinata handed him a small bowl of rice porridge which he stared with his stomach flipped uncomfortably, at least Hinata's porridge was more delicious than the hospital's. The hospital food were bland as usual, not that it helped with his lack of appetite. He overheard Sakura expressed her concern to Hinata that she noticed how he lose much weight for the past few days even before the attack happened, probably that's the reason why Sakura suggested the lunch in disguise of Himawari's request.

After an 'Itadakimasu!' they began to eat, still chatting to each other, Naruto took a bite of his porridge as he silently listened to his family.

"- she had a big cake, same as mine! It tasted so good, probably like mine too!"

Probably?

Ah, yes... Himawari was talking about her birthday, which he ruined. He dropped her cake and left his family in disappointment. He suddenly remembered his son's words.

"More importantly, as a father, today's an important day… you know what I mean, right? If you even forget about my little sister's birthday, then I'm not going to forgive you."

He knew that, and yet he sent a clone instead of going home himself to celebrate Himawari's birthday. Why he did that? He asked himself again and again. Why he purposely hurt his family? Why he-

"Naruto-kun?"

"Huh?"

Naruto blinked at Hinata who was looking at him worriedly, "Are you okay? You been staring at the bowl for the whole minute."

Naruto blinked again before he put the small bowl which still full of porridge in the tray on the bedside table, "Ah, sorry. I don't feel really hungry right now 'ttebayo."

"Is something wrong? Do you want to eat something else? I can ask the nurse to bring some soup for you if you want."

Naruto shook his head and looked at her with a smile. "It's fine. I will just eat it later."

Naruto closed his eyes as he leaned into his pillow behind him, tried to ignore the sudden headache that currently hammering inside his head like a sledgehammer.