Chapter Five

"Are we bad parents for leaving them with your parents?" I asked Damon quietly, we were about halfway to LA and it had suddenly dawned on me that we really should have brought the kids with us.

"No, not at all, they couldn't come to the awards anyway" He told me with a shrug of his shoulders, I hummed in agreement but I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach that he was wrong.

"And it would be too much for them, we're flying back home in four days" He continued, I sighed as I nodded my head. He was completely right, it didn't make much sense dragging three kids halfway across the Atlantic, but I still felt guilty for not bringing them.

"Stop worrying my darling, you're the most incredible mother, I promise" He reassured me, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

I fell asleep for the rest of the journey and so, it felt like we had arrived and checked into the hotel really quickly. As soon as we entered our room, I threw myself down onto the bed, it was getting late and I could quite happily go to bed now. But Jamie hadn't stopped talking about this bar he was desperate to visit and Damon had a glint in his eye which told me we were making the most of not having the children and well and truly partying tonight.

"I was thinking we could get some dinner and then head out, see where the evening takes us" Damon suggested, his smile spreading across his face as he walked towards me, cupping my face in his hands before placing a kiss onto my lips "Just like old times"

"Not sure if I can drink how I used to, I reckon I'll be on the floor after one drink" I laughed, cutting out the alcohol for the nine months I was pregnant with Missy came as a complete shock to my body and I'd never been able to handle my drink since.

"You're making it sound like you were once able to handle your drink" He smirked, his eyebrows raised as he laughed lightly. 

"Yeah well, I always had too much coke in my system to care about the drinking" I laughed and shook my head, the life I used to once love really did seem a million miles away from where I currently was.

"I know there's a dealer nearby that a couple of the other guys have used, if you fancy it?" Damon suggested, chewing on his bottom lip. I widened my eyes slightly at him, I hadn't touched any drugs since I fell pregnant with Missy and apart from the occasional joint, Damon was the same.

"Can we?" I asked him, furrowing my eyebrows slightly.

"By the time we go pick the kids up it'd be completely out of our systems" He reasoned, his lips starting to slowly spread into a smile.

"We can't Dames, we're parents now" I laughed again, he shrugged his shoulders.

"Well if you change your mind, the offer's there. I won't unless you do" He told me, placing another quick kiss onto my lips before disappearing into the shower.

His words had sent my mind spinning, we weren't really trying for Missy all those years ago, so whilst it was a completely welcome surprise, it meant I had to go completely cold turkey on the lifestyle I had been living for eight years. Damon, bless him, tried to do the same but he ended up just cutting down on the drink and cutting out all drugs, until he re-discovered just how great a joint was, but he still managed to keep that to a minimum too. Sometimes, when we'd been at award ceremonies or after parties, it was hard to not let my mind drift to the white powder but I knew that we were always going home to the children, so that quickly removed any of those thoughts from my mind.

However, this was different, we still had four days before we'd see the children. Being a mother was the best thing in the world but, every so often, a part of me couldn't help but crave a party, desperate to go and get drunk like I spent so many years doing. In the seven years that we'd been parents, I'd never spent more than a night away from them, Damon and I hadn't really had any proper time together in seven years. I suppose that us making the most of these next few child free days wouldn't be the end of the world