Chapter Thirty-Three

Friday 15th May 2009

"I can't do it Mum" Foxton whined, crossing out what he had written with such force that his pencil ripped the paper.

"Of course you can Woods" I said gently as I sat down next to him, removing the pencil and then giving his hand a squeeze "Let's start again and do it together"

It was Friday evening and we were trying to tackle the homework they had all come home with. Damon was sat opposite with Primrose, helping her with a book she was reading and Missy was sat at the head of the table, working on a piece of work about Ancient Egypt.

I re-wrote the sum that he had scribbled out on a fresh bit of paper; 236 + 759.

"Okay, now we need to work out what those two numbers make when you add them together" I told him softly, he nodded his head and picked up another pencil, writing out the numbers in a column addition style.

I pointed at the 6 and the 9, prompting him that those were the numbers he needed to start with. He nodded his head again, but I could tell by his tightening grip on his pencil that he was starting to grow frustrated.

"I just don't get it" He exclaimed, his fists hitting against the table out of frustration "There's too many numbers"

"It's okay Foxie" I said calmly, taking hold of both of his hands so he couldn't hit them against the table again "We'll use our fingers to count, okay?"

He nodded his head, using his pencil to trace along our outstretched fingers as he counted. He had gotten himself so worked up that he couldn't count properly, he kept on getting the numbers in the wrong order. Much to his frustration, as another shout of annoyance made its way out of his lips.

"I don't see why you're making such a fuss Woody, it's easy" Missy commented as she stretched across to read the question he was struggling on, that was the last straw for him as he suddenly burst into tears, his pencil being thrown against the wall and the paper on the table being pushed onto the floor.

"Missy can do it, even Primrose can probably do it, why can't I?" He shouted as tears flowed down his face "I'm just fucking thick"

"Hey hey hey" I intervened, wrapping my arms around him and pulling him onto my lap, his head resting against my chest as I gently rocked him "Don't you dare say that, that's not true Foxton, not at all"

The girls were both in a shocked silence, Fox was always our calm child, he never raised his voice and he certainly didn't swear. My eyes met with Damon's and I could tell that his face was showing the same concerned look that mine was. I watched as he walked around the table, kneeling down next to us and placing a kiss on Foxton's head.

"Come on you" He said softly, picking him up and wrapping his arms around him "Let's go on a walk"

Foxton aimlessly nodded his head in agreement. A few sobs still making their way out of his body as Damon carried him out of the kitchen.

I put my head in my hands breathing deeply as I tried to comprehend what on earth had just happened. As soon as I heard the front door close, I brought my head up, looking at the two girls who were still sat in silence.

"Missy, that was really unfair of you-"

"-But" She intervened, a hand pushing her fringe out of her eyes. We must take her to the hairdressers.

"No buts Miss, it wasn't kind and it wasn't necessary and you really upset your brother" I sighed deeply as I watched her drop her gaze down from me, biting her bottom lip as she nodded her head sheepishly "There's things that Fox finds easy that you struggle with, the three of you are all so different and that's what makes you all so perfect to me and your father. Life would be boring if we were all the same"