Dead or Not?

Win wasn't seeing straight, but the scary thing was that she no longer even realized that. Her mind was so buried that she'd somehow convinced herself she actually was running through a burning building behind two small children. The little blonde girl tugging on Win's hand seemed to mean a lot to her, but she couldn't remember why. The cries and screams echoing through the air were drowning almost everything else out. She could hear herself murmuring reassurances to the little girl, but she didn't seem to hear Win.

A siren began to wail and Win stumbled, the little girls grip on her hand becoming slightly looser. Crackling filled Win's ears as they reached the bottom floor of the building and made for the exit. With a loud groan the building began to collapse around them. The little boy yelled something she couldn't understand to them as he leaped through the exit as rubble slowly began to cover it. Win immediately realized that both her and the little girl weren't going to make it.

"I'm so sorry!" Win cried as she pulled her hand away from the little girls and pushed her through the last gap of the door. Hearing the little girl scream in despair as a massive beam fell sealing the exit which Win's momentum sent her crashing into as the building finally fell on top of her.

Win stumbled back, her head spinning and confused. The screaming and burning was gone. Grey was the only color around her. She blinked rapidly as her forehead throbbed as though she'd run straight into a steel wall. Her legs gave out and Win collapsed to the floor. Where was she? Where was the burning building? The rubble or the fire? What was happening?

A shrill ringing snapped her out of her confused thoughts which were slowly coming back to the present as she shifted herself to be leaning back against the steel bulkhead she'd seemingly run into. Fumbling through her pockets, Win shakily pulled out her ringing cell phone.

"He-hello?" She asked shakily, her vision still swimming slightly.

"Wintriah!" The Doctor's voice exclaimed through the speaker, making her wince at the volume.

"Doctor?" She blinked heavily, trying to focus but her head was throbbing so hard.

"Triah, I, I'm so sorry..." He whispered and Win swallowed hard. She was trapped on the wrong side, the side with the Dalek.

"Me too, Goose. It's not your fault though, so please don't blame yourself for it." She told him shakily.

"Triah, I'm the one who closed those bulkheads, it is my fault!" His tone was dismal and self deprecating, making Win's heart squeeze painfully in her chest. 

"If it's anyone fault, it's fine." She said firmly. "I chose to come with you, I chose to travel with you and knew it was dangerous. And you know what Doctor? I wouldn't have missed it for the world. These have been the best six months of my life, so please don't turn it sour by blaming yourself." The Dalek rolled into view and Win swallowed hard as her whole body began to tremble once again.

"Please remember me, Doctor. Good bye."

"EXTERMINATE!"

~

The Doctor ripped the earpiece away and crushed it in his hand as tears welled in his eyes. His hearts felt like they'd been torn right out of his chest. He squeezed his eyes shut trying so hard to push the self blame away. How could he blame himself if she'd asked him not to in her final moments?

"I killed her." The Doctor whispered hoarsely.

"I'm sorry." Van Statten told him and the Doctor whirled around as anger took over the feeling of grief.

"Sorry?! I said I'd protect her! She was only here because of me, and you're sorry?!" He yelled almost violently, causing Van Statten to take a few quick steps back. "I could have killed that Dalek in it's cell, but you stopped me!"