Feelings

At some point during their walk Win had woken up and requested to be put down. As the Doctor was still carrying her bridal style. It was a few minutes before he finally did, but proceeded to insist she lean on him for support as she was still quite shaky. It took some convincing on Rose's part before the white haired woman relented and allowed the Doctor to wrap his arm around her waist to support her without drawing any more unnecessary attention to themselves.

"Right then Charlie-boy, I've just to go into my, umm... shed. Won't be long!" The Doctor told Dickens as the group reached the old, blue, police box which was the TARDIS in disguise. Rose smiled at the old man who was watching the Doctor curiously as he pulled the key from his pocket with one hand, the other still firmly around Win's waist.

"So, what are you going to do now?" She asked and the man blinked as his focus was removed from the Doctor.

"I shall take the mail coach back to London. Quite literally post-haste." The man smiled wide, managing to get a small smile in return from Win who'd had a scowl permanently on her face since she'd woken. "This is no time to be on my own. I shall spend Christmas with my family and make amends to them. After all I've learned tonight, there can be nothing more vital!" The Doctor grinned at him.

"You've cheered up!" He noted happily.

"Exceedingly!" Dickens exclaimed with a nod. "This morning I thought I knew everything in the world, and now I know I've just started! All these huge wonderful notions, Doctor! I'm inspired! I must write about them!" Win frowned slightly.

"Do you think it to be wise?" She asked quietly. Almost as though she were afraid she would be told to shut up, and that broke the Doctor's hearts. Especially knowing he was the cause of it.

But Dickens smiled at the girl. "You are right, I shall have to be subtle at first. The Mystery of Edwin Drood still lacks an ending. Perhaps the killer was not the boy's uncle, perhaps he was not of this Earth! The Mystery of Edwin Drood and The Blue Elementals! I can spread the word, tell the truth!" He enthused and the Doctor's grin widened.

"Good luck with it!" He offered his free hand to shake. "Nice to meet you. Fantastic!"

"By then, thanks!" Rose beamed, leaving a peck on Dickens cheek as the Doctor opened the TARDIS doors. Dickens sputtered over his words in embarrassment.

"Oh, my dear... How, modern. Thank you, but, I don't understand? In what way is this goodbye? Where are you going?" Dickens asked in a confused fluster. Win chuckled lightly.

"You'll see in a moment Charlie, in the shed." She hummed, but her smile seemed forced to the Doctor and Rose.

"On my soul, Doctor, it's one riddle after another with you. But after all these revelations, there's one mystery you still haven't explained. Answer me this, who are you?" Dickens asked, looking at the Doctor quizzically. The Time Lord paused before answering with a small smile.

"Just a friend, passing through." Dickens wanted more than that though.

"But you have such knowledge of future times. I don't wish to impose on you, but I must ask. My books, Doctor, do they last?" The Doctor's small smile grew into a grin.

"Oh yes!"

"For how long?" He pressed.

"Forever." The Doctor conceded, then looked at the two young women with him. "Right then, shed, come on Triah, Rose!" Rose stepped in and Win followed, pulling away from the Doctor who tried to hide his disappointment.

"In the box? All three of you?!" Dickens gaped with wide, worried eyes. The Doctor grinned at him.

"Down boy, see ya!" The Doctor teased lightly before slipping inside and closing the door behind him. His smile wavered a bit when he saw Rose was the only other in the console room, Win having already left to her room. Rose gave him a sad smile.