intro

vivian shepherd was not a joke. sure, she messed around a little, but she always got the job done. none of her patients had ever died. none of them. which was saying something because vivian shepherd specialized in just about anything she had no experience in. she was the self-proclaimed best resident in the hospital. and being babysat by her older brother certainly didn't make her feel like it.

"i'm 28 years old derek! when are you gonna leave me alone?" i huffed.

"i just want to make sure you're okay! i know that fight with mom was hard on you".

"i'm fine!" i insisted. he looked at me like i was a wounded animal. "i promise." derek had been following me around all afternoon. wasn't he supposed to be saving lives? as his pager rang, derek patted me on the back and started toward the emergency.

i filled out a couple forms and walked towards the resident lounge. it was my 3rd year at seattle grace and everything as going according to plan. well almost everything. i was excelling in the medical field, not so much in the romantic field. i hadn't dated since college, mainly due to the fact that i was a lesbian. no one knew besides derek and my mother, who hadn't taken it very well. not even my best friend izzie knew.

we lived together with some other friends from the hospital. george was kind and nervous. meredith was determined and intense. and izzie, she was amazing. like you wouldn't believe. her smile lit up the room and her compassion shocked almost everyone. every time i saw her my heart would skip a beat. she was what i saw when i closed my eyes. her and her otherworldly beauty. i just loved her so much.

"shepherd!"

"dr. bailey! i didn't see you there."

she chuckled. "i'm sure you didn't. are you on call tomorrow?" i nodded obediently.

"why?"

"it's bonfire day for the hippies in seattle. we need to be ready for at least 30 burn victims. it's gonna be a long night." she paused to sigh. "now go home! you've been here for 24 hours!"

"thank you dr. bailey." she nodded and walked out the door. the truth is, i've been avoiding going home. mer kept saying we needed to talk in private, and i was almost positive it had to do with my romantic preferences. i changed out of my scrubs and into a white turtleneck and some loose black jeans i had stolen from izzie. my brother was still in the or, and i would do anything to stay away from meredith, which meant i had to ask my least favorite person for a ride home.

alex karev was doing sutures in the pit when i approached him.

"viv!" i glared. asking dr. evil spawn for a favor was my worst nightmare.

"you have a car, right?"

his mouth fell open. "are you serious? you've been stealing my surgeries all year!"

"is that a 'no'?" alex shook his head. "please! i don't have any change on me for a cab!" alex laughed and i walked away in defeat. there was no way in hell i was going to talk to meredith, so i decided i could just sleep in an on call room.

"i can take you home!" meredith's voice rang out like a bell in a prison telling me it was my turn to be executed. i forged a smile and thanked her before walking out to my personal electric chair.