elevator pt 1

de nadie - kali uchis

"20-year-old female, 3rd degree burns to arms and chest, found unconscious at scene..."

"17-year old male, minor lacerations to face, 2nd degree burns to both hands..."

bailey wasn't kidding when she said it would be a long night. the burn unit was flooding with victims, and the shouts of paramedics. i was sitting on a spare bed with the izzie, trying not to think about our moment on pizza night.

"you're so right!" i had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, but she seemed very passionate about it.

"i've been meaning to talk to you about something." i definitely heard that one. i gulped, waiting for her to elaborate. she opened her mouth to speak, but my pager beeped - saved by the bell. owen hunt was paging me to help a patient on the 3rd floor.

"bye iz!" i called, after picking up my stuff and running to the elevator. the night went by slowly, and once my shift was over, rounds were already starting.

i was in dire need of caffeine, but izzie was my usual coffee buddy. another resident, cristina yang, offered to come with with me. cristina was the coldest of our class, but i had always appreciated her talent and intelligence.

"iced coffee, right?" she asked as we approached the coffee cart. i nodded.

"wimp."

"why?" i smiled. "what do you take?" she tilted her head.

"black coffee all the way." i scoffed. we collected our drinks, i paid, of course, and walked over to the bridge overlooking the hospital.

"we don't hang out enough," cristina declared, leaning against the glass railing.

"we're hanging out right now." i leaned on the railing too, and took a sip of coffee. she talked about burke, and i talked about izzie.

"no way," she laughed in disbelief.

"i'm serious!"

"you actually like stevens? she's so..." she pursed her lips, not wishing to continue.

"at least i'm not crushing on an attending!"

"no fair! what about meredith? she's practically married to your brother."

"that's different!"

"how so?"

"meredith owns the house i live in." cristina rolled her eyes. i stacked her empty coffee cup in mine and flung it at trash can.

"nice aim," she chuckled when i missed. i kicked her leg playfully and placed the cups in the trash can. we walked back to the elevator and cristina got paged to the pit.

when i went to pick up labs later in the afternoon, i saw izzie again. i ran to the elevator to avoid her, but she caught up.

we stood in silence for a couple of seconds, and i clicked the 3rd floor button repeatedly in a vain attempt to reach my destination faster. izzie inhaled sharply before pulling the emergency button to stop the elevator.

"we need to talk."

// leaving yall on a cliffhanger bc i'm mean! sorry about the weird header pic btw & stream kali uchis!!