pizza pt 2

i wanna be your girlfriend - girl in red

the door swung open slightly, sending a sliver of light across the floor, illuminating my purple socks. i heard faint laughter from the kitchen and stood up, tossing the crumpled wrapper into an already overflowing trash can. my face felt the light as i joined izzie and george in the messy kitchen.

"where's the damn flour?" george cried. izzie giggled at his frustration.

"check the cupboard," i offered. apparently george had already checked there, but we found a bag in the pantry.

"this should do." the bag was empty, save for a few solid chunks in the bottom.

"maybe if mer's recipe doesn't need flour." izzie combed through her hair. as if summoned, meredith trotted in, recipe in hand.

"found it," she panted. we looked at izzie.

"any chance it doesn't need flour?" the recipe required a hefty amount of flour; 3 cups. we had 1 cup. meredith decided we should try our luck with the flour chunks, and if it didn't work, we would call the pizza place. her judgement was hardly sound, having served a 48 hour shift, so we urged her to retire to bed while the rest of us would conjure a flourless pizza. meredith refused, settling for an evening of white wine and old reruns on the couch.

"maybe if we put one chunk in each pizza," izzie suggested, after trying and failing to break up the remaining pieces of flour. we had decided to make individual mini-pizzas, after a heated argument about pineapples, and whether they belonged on the pizza, or up george's butt, as izzie suggested.

my mini pizza was arguably the best. i hated tomato sauce, so i had abandoned it altogether and topped my pizza with solemn cheese, to which meredith heavily objected. meredith's pizza was arguably the worst, sporting unspread tomato sauce and cheese, although she seemed to think it was still better than mine because "at least it has tomato sauce." george's pizza flaunted a thick layer of pineapple (which he had neglected to wash) above sauce and cheese. and izzie's pizza was very neat, but ruined by gross toppings like onions and petals from our neighbor's garden, which she was convinced were edible.

the recipe urged us to sprinkle flour on top of the pizzas, a tip passionately defended by scrawled-in footnotes, so now our topic was whether it made a difference if the flour was not so much "sprinkled on" as it was "left in a chunk." the verdict being that there wouldn't be a difference, likely impacted by our unsatisfied appetites.

"no fair!" george protested. "vivian got the biggest chunk!" it was true. izzie had blessed me with the heftiest piece of flour, much to my surprise. i giggled, waving the flour in the air above his reach.

"meredith! tell her to give me some!" to which meredith laughed and turned up the volume on the tv. i gave in and hit my flour with a wooden spoon in an attempt to chip some off for george. izzie walked over, stated i was "doing it wrong," and decided to help me. george stormed off to the bathroom.

she placed her soft hands on mine and guided my strikes. i could feel her warm breath on my neck, my thoughts started going to some unseemly places. i blinked a couple times in a vain attempt to rid my mind of the thoughts, surprisingly proving successful. i thought about my career, how i was going to be chief of surgery one day. the youngest chief in seattle grace history.

then izzie got closer. she brushed against me, and i bit my lip repeating in my head that she was just a friend. i could see her orange sweater sleeves emerging from behind me when i looked down. her pale pink nails marked the ends of the hands curling around mine.

a chip flew off the lump, and we rejoiced. izzie enveloped me in a cocoon of warmth. her torso pressed against mine. i pulled back, peering in her chocolate brown eyes. she looked back at me, and i thought i saw her steal a glance at my lips, but maybe it was all in my head. i felt drawn to her, like we were magnets. the space between us shrunk, her hands still wrapped tightly around my waist. 

the bathroom door opened, and she jumped back. i cleared my throat and looked down at the floor, awkwardly searching for the chip of flour. i picked it up off the floor and handed it to george, who seemed enthusiastic. we put the pizzas in the oven and the rest of the night went on, but i couldn't get the hug out of my head.

was it possible she liked girls? was it possible she liked me?

// this is kind of a long chapter, but lmk if u liked it or what should happen in the next chapter! i'm a little tempted to make a sad ending cuz imma whore for those, but the audience wants something fluffy i'll deliver. love u and new chapter monday! comment your dream pizza :)