1 - unrequited love

Rowan's POV

I've know Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger since first year when we were all sorted into Gryffindor together. We saved the philosopher's stone from Professor Quirrell who was being possessed by Voldemort. When Hermione was petrified second year, Ron, Harry, and I saved Ginny Weasley from the Chamber of Secrets. Third year while Hermione and Harry went back in time to save Sirius from getting the Dementor's kiss, I stayed my Ron's side in the hospital. Fourth year, we all helped Harry get through the tasks. And this year we've stuck together against Umbridge. Thankfully we're only a few months away from the end of fifth year.

The point is, the four of us have been through a lot together. We're best friends. Hermione and I have stayed up late chatting about cute boys. Harry was my first kiss in third year. And Ron...Well Ron is the guy I've been in love with since the beginning of fourth year.

And as far as I can tell, that love is as unrequited as it can be. He only sees me as a friend, maybe more like a sister. Meanwhile, I see him as the guy I could possibly want to spend the rest of my life with. The guy who makes my heart stop whenever he's close to me. Who gives me butterflies every time he smiles. 

But of course he doesn't know all that. He can't know that. It could very well ruin our friendship. Harry and Hermione don't know either, and I'm more than happy to keep it that way. People knowing will just complicate things. 

So for the time being, I just do my best to push through these feelings. They're just feelings, right? They'll go away eventually. 

*****

"ROWAN, you are honestly the most wonderful person I have ever met. If I'm ever rude to you again..." Ron says after I finish correcting his Potions essay for him.

I blush at the compliment but shrug it off. "I'll know you've gone back to normal."

We both take a seat, joining Harry and Hermione on the couches by the fire in the Gryffindor common room, our favourite place to sit. 

"You lot are still coming to the Burrow for Easter in a few weeks, aren't you?" Ron asks us. 

"Yeah, of course." Hermione says while Harry and I nod in agreement. 

I'm about to open my textbook to do a bit of reading when I feel something hit the back of my head. Turning around I see Fred leaning against the wall on the other side of the common room, watching me. For once he's not with George. Weird

I turn back to my book and then feel something hit the back of my head again. I turn my head around once again and this time, Fred is jerking his head, indicating for me to come over to him. 

I let out a sigh. "I'll be right back." I say, placing my textbook on the table in front of us. I stand up and begin making my way over to Fred wondering what in the world he needs to talk to me about that's so urgent he has to throw things at me. 

*****

A/N: This chapter was really short since we're just getting started. But I'll try to make the rest of the chapters between 1k-2k words when possible.