16 - forgotten

A/N: I love you all so much, reading your comments gives me so much joy and thank you for all the support on all my works. xoxo

*****

Rowan's POV

THE first week back from Easter break flies by in a blur, and not because I'm having the fun time I thought I would be having with Fred as my official boyfriend. But it seems over the past few days he's been otherwise occupied by someone else. That someone else being the Valeria Dobre, who is about to become absolutely insufferable with how much she's hogging my boyfriend.

Of course, I have zero experience with relationships and for fear of being too clingy, I haven't pointed out this particular insecurity to Fred. Luckily, I set aside time with him specifically this evening so I get him all to myself. I told him to meet me in my room after dinner was over, not telling him exactly what I had planned, hoping to let his imagination wander. 

But as the hours on the clock tick by, moving from eight o'clock to nine o'clock. Fred doesn't show up, and the twist in my gut reappears as I come to the realization that he's not coming. He better have a damn good excuse.

I trudge down the stairs leading from the girls dormitories to the common room and what I see when I get to the bottom stops me in my tracks. Fred is sitting around the fire, laughing and smiling, hanging out with George, Lee and Valeria

"I thought we were supposed to meet up." I say when I approach him, doing my best to hide the hurt in my voice. 

"Oh Merlin, I'm so sorry Rowan. Valeria and I were planning out a prank to do on Filch and I totally lost track of time." He apologizes but I feel numb. 

Of course he was Valeria. He's always with her nowadays and I swear when I glance in her direction I see a smirk dancing across her face in the flicker of the firelight but in an instant it's gone. 

I turn back to Fred. "You know what, it's fine. I'm actually pretty tired from this whole week anyways. I should get to sleep." I lie, turning to make my way back upstairs. 

"Rowan wait!" He calls out after me. My heart rate speeds up as I anticipate what he's about to say, hoping that he'll invite me over to stay with them for a bit. "We're going to Hogsmeade tomorrow morning for some butterbeer, do you want to come with us?"

I let out a sigh. "I can't." And this time it's not a lie. "I promised Hermione we would study for our OWLs. Sorry."

"It's okay. We'll hang out soon." He shrugs, approaching me. He places a kiss on my forehead. "Good night. I love you."

"Good night Fred." I smile before heading upstairs.

*****

"WHAT are you all looking at?" I ask curiously. It's been a long day of studying in the library with Harry, Ron and Hermione and we've finally returned to the common room for the night, only to find a large group of people crowded around Fred and George. 

The four of us push through the front to see a box filled with heart shaped glass bottles. 

"Amortentia." George answers, holding up one of the small bottles for me to see. 

"Or as we like to call it Flirting Fancies." Fred grins. "It's gonna be one of the products we sell at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes."

"Isn't that kind of risky? I mean, can't you get sued for messing with people's love lives?" Hermione asks worriedly. 

"Oh, Hermione. Lawsuits don't really exist in the magical world. That's just a muggle thing." Fred says. 

"Besides, we'll put disclaimers on all our products that we don't take responsibility for any of the outcomes our products contribute to." George says. "So, Rowan. What do you smell?" George asks, passing me the bottle. 

"Um..." I open the bottle and take a whiff, my nose automatically being filled with the most divine smell. "Sugar...coconut...and lime." I answer, blushing as I realize who's scent I've just described. Fred's. Because I'm in love with him. Of course I am. How could I not be?

Fred takes the bottle from me to take his own whiff. "I smell cinnamon and vanilla." He says, his expression faraway as he continues to smell the potion. 

"That's weird." Harry interrupts. "Because I smell hazelnut and coffee and we all know that I'm in love with Rowan." He chuckles nervously, causing me to blush. 

That's when I notice that Fred isn't looking at me as he smells the red liquid. He's looking past me, over my shoulder to someone behind me. When I turn around to see who he's looking at my heart stops and I feel like I met die. It's Valeria Dobre.