Determination

Dobby popped back into the infirmary as Severus was reading through Harry's list of injuries with plates of food floating behind him. The smell of sausages, roast beef and mashed potatoes filled the air. The house elf the set all the dishes onto a table near Harry's bed. "I is done with cooking Master Harry's food Master Severus." Dobby stated. "Yes. You may leave and continue with whatever you were doing before." Severus replied.

Harry has never seen so much appetising food before. All he was given were leftover stale bread and expired crackers that Dudley throws at him in his cupboard. Nobody has actually given him real food. The closest he had been was when he was cooking in the kitchen where he failed to sneak half of a pre-boiled egg bought from the convenience store. That had not ended well.

Severus saw the food arriving while Harry was looking at it longingly. He doubts that the Dursley's have ever given him the nutrition he requires judging by Harry's expression and physique. Putting down the piece of paper, he turned towards the table. He was going to hand feed Potter's spawn if necessary. How had it come to this? Wondering if Harry could use utensils, it would make this way simpler, he picked up the bowl of mashed potatoes. Handing Harry a metal spoon, he commanded "Here, eat." while holding up the mashed potatoes for him.

Harry looked at the spoon in confusion and questioning eyes stared back at Severus, seemingly lost on what its purpose was. "Never mind. Give me the spoon child." Harry gave the spoon back to Severus.

Severus spooned a healthy amount of mashed potatoes and held it up to Harry's mouth. After a few seconds of hesitation and a reassurance, Harry slowly opened his mouth and accepted it. They continued this routine until there was no residue of mashed potatoes left in the bowl.

Harry was shocked when he saw the creature pop into existence and disappear leaving food on the table before it left. It was fascinating, like something straight out of a fantasy book. Although he wouldn't know, he had never read one before. It was what Harry imagines them to consist of, dragons, castles, elves and magical things.

Now, Sev'us --He had learned the man's name when the creature had addressed him-- was feeding him spoonfuls of mashed potatoes. He was scared to eat it at first but Sev'us had assured him by saying, "It's for you Harry, you can eat it." The taste of the silky smooth mashed potatoes coated his tongue. It was amazing. Harry had never eaten anything that was as delicious as this before.

The mashed potatoes were devoured quickly and Severus went on to feed Harry some of the other foods on the table. A few sausages later, footsteps were heard before Minerva bursts through the wooden doors of the infirmary, scaring Harry out of his wits as he stared in shock and fear.

"A dramatic entrance much Minerva?" Severus mused, raising his eyebrows slightly to indicate surprise before proceeding to whisper comforting words to Harry who was trying to bury himself closer to Severus's side while shaking in fear after the initial shock.

"No need to worry child, no one will hurt you here." Severus stated with conviction. He was going to make sure that Harry never has to experience that kind of torture ever again.

Minerva stared at the two on the bed. This was a sight to see. Severus in muggle clothing, legs stretching to its full length on the bed with his left arm supporting Harry's shoulders in a secure hold while Harry was practically attached to Severus's side, clutching onto Severus's shirt with a death grip, tears staining the Potion Master's clothes.

Minerva's state astonishment was broken as Poppy said "I know. It's crazy isn't it?" Yeah, she could agree with her on that. The second thing she noticed was the obvious scarring and injuries on Harry's that filled Harry's body. Barely any untouched and mark free skin could be seen. Harry was still so young!

Watching her anger, she controlled herself as best as she could and said somewhat loudly, "I knew Dumbledore shouldn't have sent Harry to those vile muggles! How dare they do this to sweet Harry! Poor thing, he's not even in the double digits yet. I'm going to have a long chat with the Headmaster."

Poppy had contacted Minerva when Severus was busy feeding Harry to come over to the infirmary for important business. She had already guessed that Severus would not be out of Harry's bed anytime soon if Harry's actions could be anything to go off of.

Minerva stalked out of the infirmary and was headed to the Headmaster's office. Severus grabbed the glass of chocolate milk that was on the table and nudged  Harry gently with his free hand. Harry lifted his head just a tiny bit so he could see Severus, not fully comfortable with getting out of the embrace as he looked at Severus.

Severus pressed the glass onto Harry's lips and tipped it slightly, suggesting that Harry should drink some of the its contents. Sipping a little at a time, the glass was slowly draining. Pulling the glass away when Harry had indicated that he had enough, Severus set it back on the table where the other food resided.

Harry's eyes were struggling to keep itself open. His full stomach, the warmth from Sev'us's body and the comforting hand around his cold body added to his drowsiness, causing him to fall asleep in record time.

Severus glanced at Harry as he was conversing with Poppy about his dunderhead students and noticed that he was sleeping. Harry's head slid onto the bed below Severus's side, Severus's arm trapped under the light weight of Harry's body, his glasses, 'Can it even be considered glasses at this point' he added as an afterthought, falling off of his face.

Severus used his free hand to cast a quick spell to change Harry out of the horrific clothing he was wearing.

Severus then slid his arm out from its place under Harry's sleeping self, careful to not disturb Harry in dreamland. This was probably the most comfortable sleep the child's had in a long time.

"Call me if I'm needed. I'm retiring back to my quarters." Severus said emotionlessly. Knowing that Minerva was taking care of talking to the Headmaster, Severus walked out of the infirmary still in muggle clothing. Changing out of his horrendous clothes, he started on his brewing again. This was something he definitely did not sign up for when he accepted the favour from Dumbledore. How was he going to ignore Harry now until his schooling starts?