Chapter 7

POV Danielle
I'm standing in the kitchen, chatting with my cousin Julia. She talks a lot about her work and everything's that going on right now.

Stefania just went up to get Jeff some food she brought here. I haven't seen my father yet, he is probably upstairs but I don't know exactly.

It's 6 p.m. now and we are all sitting at the table due to the fact we are going to have dinner any second. Stefania is sitting on my left and Stephanie is on my right.
Jeff is doing good, my 13-year-old cousin Adam and his  7-years-old sister Clara are playing with her right now.
My dad is sitting on the opposite side of the table, next to my mom and uncle Jerold. The two of them, my dad and Jerold, are so loud that it's almost impossible for me to have a normal conversation with my sister.
I look at him every once in a while. This whole situation just freaks me out a little, my legs are fidgeting and I can't really concentrate on what Stephanie is saying to me. He is not even doing anything but everything just kinda disturbs me at this instant.
I'm usually an outgoing person but not when I'm around my family. That's also why I don't like celebrating my birthday with all of them. It's just too much.

Suddenly, Stefania puts her hand on my tight. She must have probably seen how nervous this whole thing makes me. I put my hand on hers and look at her for a short time before I continue the conversation with my sister. But I don't let go of Stefania's hand.

My sister looks at me confused after she saw what the Italian and I are doing.
I shake my head in the hope that Stephanie just continues her story. And she does that thankfully. But I have the feeling that she'll definitely ask me about it at some point.

POV Stefania
Her family is actually quite nice. Danielle's little cousin Adam comes to me quite often because he and his sister are playing with Jeff.
Danielle is sitting next to me and I can see that she's getting more and more nervous. I put my hand on her thigh so she knows I'm here for her. Not a big deal.

The dinner was amazing, to say the least. Her mom copped up an old family recipe and it was just so good. However, I'm quite a picky eater so it means something when I say it was good.

After a while sitting at the table and chatting with her family, Adam asks me to come over to the living room with him and his sister Clara to play some video games.
Of course, I accept the challenge. To be honest, I've only played video games a few times so I'm very bad. But I can at least try.

Danielle looks over at me as I take my hand off her and stand up. "What are you doing?" she asks right after.
"I am going to beat your cousins in a video game"
"You can't just leave me here"
"Then how about you join us and we're beating them together?"
I can feel a pair of eyes on us for the whole conversation.
"Ok, sounds good"
Her father watches us all the time. I try not to look at him. He's quite terrifying, to be honest. I haven't talked to him today and neither has Danielle. I know that she said they aren't really in touch anymore and only see each other at events like this one but I didn't imagine him to be so cold. He shows no emotions.

"But we only have two controllers," Adam says as the four of us get into the living room.
"That's not a bad thing. It works out perfectly. You two versus me and Stefania."
The two kids nod and sit down on the sofa. Before Danielle sits down too I hold her arm "OK, there's just one problem" I say to her.
"What is it, Bella?"
"Oh, since when do you use that word?"
"I just wanted to call you beautiful too, that so bad?"
"No, I guess it is not."
"Anyway, what's up?"
"It's just, I don't really think I know how to play"
"Are you kidding me? Why do you say that now, I wouldn't have teamed up with you"
"I'm sorry. I didn't want to look bad in front of the kids."
She laughs a bit.
"Oh man, doesn't matter imma teach you" she eventually says.