✨

"Did you find something that caught your interest?"

The small receptionist from earlier smiled brightly at him.

"Someone"

Hyunjin muttered quietly but not loud enough for the woman to hear.

"No sadly.
Are there more hybrids to adopt-
eh buy?"

"You can go down that corridor and then on the first door left side,
there are some kids but I'm not sure if you want them, they're loud and quite a handful.

But there are also some exotics,
we got a bear and a lynx last week. It's not a big department though,
only a small selection since our main focus lays on high quality pet hybrids for business men."

High quality pet hybrids for business men?

What the actual fuck.

"Thank you,
I think I'll have a look at them."

He bowed politely and followed her instruction.

Reaching another one of these heavy metal doors, Hyunjin struggled to open the stuck door until he was finally able to enter the dark room.

It wasn't light and clean like the two departments he had visited before, the flickering lamp and the cobwebs on the ceiling and on the dirty white walls made him shiver in discomfort.

It was also suspiciously quiet,
no talking, no laughing, not a single sound besides the breathing of the hybrids and the sound of stone scratching on the concrete floor.

A tiny boy, probably only around four years old, was trying to draw on the floor with the stone in his hand.

The grey object left white lines on the floor and the small German shepherd hybrid was sticking his little tongue out in concentration as he worked on his art.

Another three hybrid pups were laying in the corner of the cage huddled up together,
probably sleeping.

They were just some innocent kids, they didn't deserve to be here.

But at least they had each other.

Since they didn't even notice Hyunjin, the taller boy walked further into the department, passing many cages.

Some of them were empty,
others were inhabited by old hybrids, older than Hyunjin.

The bear hybrid that the woman at the reception had mentioned earlier was laying passed out on the floor,
his chest barely going up and down.

The man was already fifty,
a collar around his neck and a chain attached on it that kept him from even going near the iron bars.

This was more prison than anything else.

But he couldn't possibly adopt a 50 year old bear hybrid,
the man looked foreign as well so they were probably not even talking the same language.

Hyunjin couldn't,
something scared him about the male and he left the department as fast as possible after the bear hybrid had woken up and had stared at the tall blonde with piercing ice blue eyes.

As he closed the door behind him,
his gaze fell onto a dirty old sign on the door across from the one he had just left.

'Staff only
Misfit, sick, invalid'

What do they do with them?

Why are they here if they just sell 'high quality pet hybrids'?

« 𝐅𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 »