❄Chapter One-Of Tea And Travel❄

"Behold the Liquid Thames froze o're,

That lately Ships of mighty Burthen bore...

And lay it by that ages yet to come

May see what things upon the ice were done. "

London 1st February 1814

The city of London had not experienced such frigid weather since the last great freeze of 1789.  The inhabitants of London had been enduring these low temperatures from the 27th day of December of the old year until the present time.  The demand for coal had increased within the city where everyone wished to keep themselves relatively warm. London was bathed in blanket of thick black fog caused by this most valued mineral. 

Such temperatures had caused the River Thames itself to freeze.  This has not been seen in London since 1789 with many travelling to see the frozen river.  It was quite the sight and it had been reported that thousands were travelling to see this natural wonder.  It was during this most inhospitable weather that Miss Charlotte Heywood of Willingden and her dearest brother Mr. John Heywood made the journey from their village to visit London.  The purpose of their sojourn to London was to meet the new steward for their father's estate.  

Their father did not travel far from home so he had requested that John and Charlotte travel in his stead to meet with this gentleman.  They had travelled by coach for two days to arrive in London on the appointed meeting date of February 1st. Their journey had been a most unpleasant one owing to the inclement weather and the necessity of staying in less than satisfactory accommodation. Charlotte had been accompanied by Mrs. Reynolds, who would act as her maid during their time there.  Finally they reached London and none was gladder to have reached their destination. 

Mrs. Reynolds was barely able to contain her delight at finally seeing this great city.  She spoke little on their arrival in the borough instead gazing at all that she saw before her. John and Charlotte were both weary and excited on their arrival.  They had arranged to stay in The Queen Charlotte Inn adjacent to London Bridge as their meeting with the new steward was in the vicinity. 

On arrival at the inn John, Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds entered therein and were given their rooms.  Charlotte said "John might we explore the area once  we have changed and eaten our luncheon.  I am most interested in exploring the area, perhaps we could visit a teahouse and indulge in some tea and pastries.  Afternoon tea sounds like a most elegant diversion.  What say you John?"

John smiled at Charlotte and said "of course dear Charlotte we will refresh ourselves and then take a tour of the area.  I am most anxious to see the sights,  London Bridge is most impressive.  It is most exhilarating  to be in such a lively place, so different from our somnolent Willingden.  London is such a place to visit but not a place where I wish to inhabit.  Come dear Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds let us refresh ourselves and partake of luncheon before we take our tour. " 

The happy trio repaired to their rooms in the shadow of majestic London Bridge with its frozen water. Once Charlotte had changed with the help of Mrs. Reynolds, into her best walking dress  they proceeded down the stairs of the inn towards the dining room.  John had arrived before them and found a table close to the window which gave onto the bustling street.  They ate a light repast of bread, slices of beef and lamb, cheese and apples.  As they were still cold from the journey they asked the innkeeper for tea rather than wine or milk. 

With their spirits suitably raised Charlotte, John and Mrs. Reynolds donned their coats, bonnets, hat and gloves.  They were appreciative of choosing their most warm outerwear for their visit to London.  They moved out onto the bustling street avoiding passing carriages and stagecoaches.  They walked with care on the busy thoroughfare as the cobbled streets shone with a light frost.  "Take care Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds as you walk as I would not wish to see you tumble on the street."   "John we will be cautious but Mrs. Reynolds and I are most anxious for the meeting with father's new steward to conclude so that we may view the sights.  I have heard tell of a Frost Fair which is sounds most intriguing.  It has been reported that an elephant was lead across the frozen Thames at the fair.   Might we visit the fair once our meeting has concluded?"

John could see the excitement in Charlotte's eyes and said  " Charlotte we most certainly can visit the wonder that is The Frost Fair.  Would you wish to visit a tea house before the meeting?"  Charlotte replied "that would be lovely John as I feel most chilled, perhaps there is a teahouse close to where we will meet this gentleman."  Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds scanned the street in search of a teahouse as they were both gently trembling with cold.   Charlotte exclaimed loudly "John there is a most cosy teahouse at the end of this street, could we pause there and take tea?

I fear that Mrs. Reynolds and I will petrify soon if we do not get some warmth."  Charlotte drew her coat tighter around herself as a cold breeze blew down the street.  "Shall we take tea at this teahouse John said pointing to Mrs. Elliott's Teahouse?"  The teahouse painted a cosy picture with its bright red exterior festooned with various winter plants.  Candles glowed from the windows while the tempting scent of bread and cakes wafted from the kitchen.

"Yes please John, it will be my treat to Mrs. Reynolds and you.  Mother kindly gave me some coins to spend on a treat while in London and I believe that this is a most worthy treat.  Come let us not tarry on the street."  They opened the door of the teahouse and were brought to a table close to the kitchen.  The smell of the freshly baked breads and pastries was most tempting even though they had but eaten their lunch an hour and a half before.  

They were offered an array of cakes and pastries accompanied by their choice of Darjeeling tea. A fire blazed in the marble hearth close to where they sat and soon they felt much warmer.  The pastries were the most delicious they had ever eaten especially the lemon cakes which Charlotte declared were her favourite.  They wished that they could remain in this most convivial of places however they were to meet with their father's stewart so Charlotte removed the coins from her reticule and gave them to their server thanking her most profusely.  

On leaving the teahouse they walked quickly to the appointed meeting place, The White Hart Inn where Mr. Wood awaited them.  They were to meet with him at 3.30pm and it was already 3.15pm.  They were all fatigued from their travels so they walked at a slower pace than usual.  John called Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds "please make haste we do not wish to be tardy for our meeting."  Charlotte spoke saying "both Mrs. Reynolds and I are quite fatigued but we will try to keep pace with you."

Charlotte could see that Mrs. Reynolds was faltering so she gave her her arm for support.  "Thank you Miss" said Mrs. Reynolds.  " I feel most anxious to return to the inn to rest once the meeting has concluded. Would this be permitted?"  Charlotte smiled at Mrs. Reynolds and said "certainly we can, that sounds like a most sensible notion. Perhaps we might visit the Frost Fair tomorrow after a good night's rest.  We will return to inn for dinner and then retire."  John turned to Charlotte and said "of course Mrs. Reynolds I can see that you drained by our travels."

They arrived at the White Hart Inn where Mr. Wood met them and discussed the management of their father's estate.  He seemed a most capable and sensible gentleman who would be most suitable as their steward.  Mr. Wood confirmed that he would write to their father to confirm the arrangements for his new position.  He said to Charlotte and John that he wished to commence the post at the earliest as he had been without employ for some time.  His wife and he would desire to be settled in Willingden within the next month as they were anticipating the arrival of their first child. Charlotte and John congratulated him on this most happy news and bade him farewell. 

Charlotte, Mrs. Reynolds and John left the inn and walked back towards their lodgings. The weather had become much colder and the skies had begun to darken so they walked briskly towards the Queen Charlotte Inn.  Any tours of the area would on the morrow after a well earned rest.  A carriage bearing the name and coat of arms of "Parker" drove past them.  A dark haired gentleman seated in the carriage gazed out the window and on seeing Charlotte smiled at the determined nature of her walk.  She stood out to him as she sported a cerise cloak with a white bonnet and gloves.  She looked the picture of happiness.  He wondered who she was and if he might see her again.