❄Chapter Two-Of Business and Skating❄

Mr. Sidney Parker and his younger brother Mr. Arthur Parker had journeyed from their seaside home of Sanditon two days prior to meet with their man of business.  Their older brother Mr. Tom Parker had requested of them to meet with Mr. Smyth, his man of business in London.  The elder Parker was occupied with his venture to create a seaside resort to rival the fashionable Brighton.  His vision was to create a seaside destination in Sanditon that he hoped would be the more popular.  Presently the town was in a state of decrepitude.  The Parker family had moved to the town the year prior from London where they had resided for many years.  Their decision to move to Sanditon had been prompted by a newspaper article written about forgotten English seaside resorts and also by an inheritance from a distant relative. 

A distant relative of the Parkers had gifted Tom Parker an inheritance in their will.  The family had not met with this relative in sometime but discovered that he had amassed great wealth through investments in land and properties throughout London.  This inheritance had allowed Tom Parker and his family to purchase a home in Sanditon along with a number of derelict properties.   Their home was a large cream brick building with painted plaster finished with a flourish of Greek columns.  Tom Parker's dear wife Mary, a lady of refined taste had decorated their home in hues of cream and blue to reflect its maritime setting.  The walls of their home were adorned with painted wallpapers depicting seaside scenes featuring seabirds, fish, boats and flowers.  Their home while being palatial conveyed an air of comfort and serenity.  Mary wished to create a home for her and her family in which all who entered felt comfortable and at ease.   It was in essence a family home for her and her three rumbustious children.  

The transformation of Sanditon from a forgotten seaside town to a seaside resort rivalling Brighton occupied much of Tom Parker's time.  He had little time for other things such as his family and the management of finances.   He had charged his younger, sensible brother Sidney  with the management of his finances and the associated administration which included meeting with their man of business.  Sidney was well suited to this role as he was capable of restraining Tom when he wished to spend foolishly.  Sidney and Tom does not always concur on financial matters however Sidney always reassured Tom that he had his and his dear family's welfare in mind.  His greatest wish was for the happiness of Tom and his cherished family.  Sidney loved Tom and his family and wished to spend as much time as possible with the children.  He divided his time between London and Sanditon but missed the dear children when in London.  He dearly wished to be blessed with children.  He had been recently engaged to a lady of the Ton however she had jilted him for a wealthier, more influential gentleman.  Sidney had been most hurt by this rejection and had been in a black study for some time following this disappointment. Following this he rarely attended any social gatherings as he did not wish to be viewed with pity and a target for matchmaking mothers and their daughters. 

Sidney and his younger brother Arthur, a most jolly gentleman who enjoyed fine dining and dancing was his companion in London.   Sidney adored his brother however he exasperated him  occasionally with his unhealthy preoccupation with his wellbeing.   He had consulted many physicians regarding his health and was usually found consuming some noxious herbal concoction believed to guarantee health and longevity.  Sidney reassured Arthur with a hug saying "you are rarely poorly and more than likely will outlive me."  The brothers complimented each other and provided much support to Tom and his vision for Sanditon.  Arthur had the innate ability to raise Sidney's spirits by suggesting some entertainment or diversion whenever they were in London.   As their meeting with their man of business Mr. Smyth had concluded Arthur suggested that they might visit the Frost Fair that afternoon.  "What say you Sidney to seeing this wonder?"  "It sounds truly spectacular and something to be seen, a once in a lifetime event." "I am not sure Arthur,  I feel fatigued perhaps tomorrow after we have rested." "It is certainly something that I wish to witness, it sounds most unusual." "Might we travel there tomorrow after breakfast." "Certainly Sidney that sounds like a lovely way to pass the morning." Arthur spoke to Sidney saying "shall we visit a coffeehouse before we return home as I feel quite chilled." "That sounds like a most sensible idea Arthur."