❄Chapter 6-Of Cards and Cotillions❄

The Heywoods time with the Parkers was nearing its end as seven days had passed and Charlotte seemed much improved. Mrs.Reynolds remained in Charlotte's chamber, sleeping in a trundle bed which Arthur had kindly borrowed from a neighbour.

John had remained with his sister throughout the week only leaving her to sleep. Sleep had evaded him however as he fretted about his sister. He hoped that she would return to her full health and he would again engage in witty conversation with her. He had sent many letters in the week to his family informing of them of Charlotte's recuperation.

The Parker's physician visited each morning to assess Charlotte's progress and to ensure that she did suffer any infection. He was most fastidious and insisted that Charlotte remain in her bed bar for the necessary. Charlotte protested on hearing this "but Sir could I not take a small tour of the garden for a few moments. Surely such an excursion would benefit my health. I am becoming most tired of remaining so still. It is not in my nature to be so. I just wish for some fresh air and to move." "I am sorry Miss but I strongly urge you not to. I cannot of course imprison you in your chamber however I do hope that your dear brother will concur with me on this. It is for the best. Once you have remained abed for the week, you may then take some air."

John agreed with the physician on this and told Charlotte "it will only be for a short time and I will do my utmost to shorten the time. Perhaps I can ask Parkers if they could lend us some more books. We could play some card games, which is your preferred game?
Whist, Loo, Piquet or Snap? We might persuade the Parker siblings to play a hand with us. " "John you are the voice of reason and sense which infuriates me. Of course you are right, I must remain abed in my chamber prison rather like Rapunzel in her tower. I will endeavour not to grow my hair to Rapunzel's length although it could be a useful means of escape. Whist and Snap are my favourite card games. Perhaps we might play a hand of Snap first so that I do not burden my weary brain.

"Very well Charlotte I will seek out some more books and a deck of cards. Surely such a grand home would contain at least one deck of cards. It will only be three more days in your chamber please try to endure it. I know that you are strong of mind and will not let this affect your humour. I do so miss our witty sparring of which you are usually the victor." "I will of course vanquish you once again in our future duel of wits, John. How do you fare John, are you enjoying the hospitality of our generous hosts? I know not how we shall repay them. Perhaps we could invite them to rusticate with us in Willingden although our abode does not compare to what they are used to. It would be quite the interesting social experiment dear brother. What say you?"

John smiled at Charlotte and could see that she was returning to her usual self with her witty retorts. "I am well however I cannot sleep as I am concerned about you. I hope that your fall will not affect you in the future. There will be no lasting physical shadows of your fall. I am sure that I will sleep soundly once you have returned to health. Now I must seek some entertainments for you. Do you require, some refreshment perhaps? Mr. Sidney Parker mentioned that he had found some lemon and honey tea which you might enjoy. What a thoughtful gentleman he is. He asks after you each morning at breakfast as does his brother. They are most solicitous of two strangers. Ah Mrs. Reynolds excuse me for I should have asked if you required anything. "

"No Sir I have no need of anything although some tea would be most welcome perhaps with some cakes. Has the weather turned more temperate, the snow appears to be melting from the trees and roofs. There was a most delightful ray of winter sun shining through the drapes this morning. It did gladden my heart as it has been so grey of late
No go ahead Sir and seek out what diversions you can for Charlotte."

"Very well I will carry out my mission dear ladies and return with my bounty. I bid you both adieu." He curtsied most regally and left the chamber. "Ah it is warms me to see you return to yourself, I was fearful that you would be yourself dear Charlotte. I am most fond of you both, I feel most maternal towards you and would not wish any harm to befall you. As God did not bless me with any children of my own owing to my childhood illness you are like my children. See now I have become overly sentimental l do apologise Charlotte. Please forget that I have been so candid with you."