❄Chapter 8-Of Tom And Thunder❄

The dance had been all that Sidney had wished for. The feel of Charlotte's small hands in his was nothing like he had felt with any other dance partners. Would that the dance would never end. She smiled at him and her brown eyes sparkled in the candlelight, her vivacity and spirit radiated. This lady who had entered his sphere a mere sennight had affected his whole being more than any other. What would he do once she returned to her rural idyll? The very notion of her departure caused him pain. Her beauty was undeniable but it was equally her mind that attracted him. Who knew that a rustic and he could have much in common.

Charlotte looked at him enquiringly, she probably wondered why he stared at her so. "Are you well Mr. Parker, you looked troubled? Is it a business matter? I do hope that our presence in London is not detrimental to your affairs in Sanditon. We would not wish to be the cause of any business troubles. We will return to Willingden soon so we will not be a burden to you and dear Arthur. We have so enjoyed being in your home, it has been a balm for my brother. Had you not encountered us on the ice where would we have lodged? The White Hart is a thoroughly respectable establishment however it lacks the homely atmosphere. Your London home has been almost a home for us while I have been unwell."

Sidney continued looking at her but did not reply. He was lost in her, he felt unable to reply in a coherent way. His heart thudded, his throat was dry and he felt the sweat on his hands. Mercifully the dance was close to the end so that Charlotte did not have to hold his overly warm hands. Come on Sidney gather yourself and answer Charlotte. You would wish for her experience of the dance to be a melancholy one. Smile and speak you dolt, you acting as a moon calf.

"My apologies Ms. Heywood my mind had travelled to another place. I was indeed occupied with very significant matters, both personal and business. This dance has provided a much needed respite from my concerns. Your continued presence in our home is one of little burden to us. We greatly appreciate your company, we had thought that it would be a quiet time for us but it has proved to be the opposite. I do tend towards dark moods so any lightness is welcome. It was indeed most fortuitous our meeting at the Frost Fair. I was not anxious to attend as I do not enjoy being in crowded places however Arthur persuaded me. He can be very definite when he wishes. He is a dear brother who can bring me out of my melancholy. His joy is contagious, there is he now dancing like an insane. He and Tom are very different, Tom is single minded with a touch of self interest. Tom is a devoted husband and father who provides for his family however his recent project may his ruination.

Ah here is your brother John come to claim your next dance." John walked towards Charlotte smiling and curtsying "my lady I believe that the next dance is mine. Will you show your brother how superior a dancer you are. I promise not to tread on your poor toes too much. This gentleman has shown himself to be quite the proficient dancer, I fear that I will be unable to match him. I will see that I do not cause you too much mortification dear Charlotte. Excuse us Mr. Parker it is my duty to take my sister for a turn around the floor. You may wish to avert your eyes as it will be quite something. Do you feel able for another dance Charlotte?" " Cease your inane chatter John, I know that you are a graceful dancer. You will be anything but an embarrassment, you may in fact be much in demand as a dance partner.

Please pay no heed to him Mr. Parker he enjoys joshing with me. I am certainly able for another dance John but are you willing to match my skill. Mr. Parker we might finish our conversation once I have danced with Beau Brumell here. Could I ask that you might find some refreshments for John and I. The room is very warm and a cool drink would be very welcome. Now I must leave you and endure John's company and ungainly dancing." Charlotte curtsied to Sidney and taking her brother's hand returned to the dance floor. What a delight she is thought Sidney, full of wit and humour. I must find some way of delaying her removal to Willingden but first refreshments.