❄Chapter 7- Of Burgundy and Beaumonde❄

The day of the Frost Fair Ball dawned with a weak winter sun peeking through the windows of the Parker home. The air had a touch of Spring about it and it had been reported that the icy sheet at Blackfriars Bridge had started to melt. Many curious visitors still made the pilgrimage to see the famous frozen wonder however its popularity was in decline.

There was much speculation that the Prince Regent himself had condescended to make the journey from his London home to the view this icy spectacle. This reputed visit had increased the public's interest in the Frost Fair as they hoped to sight him. His visit would guarantee the success of such a wonder. His presence alone had revived the seaside town of Brighton.
It had become a most fashionable resort with the great and the good.

Sidney had heard murmurs that he may attend the Frost Fair Ball this evening. This rumour alone had increased the requests for vouchers from the great ladies of Almacks. Such tickets were much in demand and the lady patronesses Countess Lieven and Countess Jersey were granting vouchers to those that they deemed to be worthy of entry. They alone determined who would gain entry to this assembly and no amount of influence would assist any prospective attendees. They were notoriously particular with regard to those who may attend, even those of the Ton were not guaranteed a voucher.

Naturally they wished for the most entertaining and elegant to grace their assemblies. The partonesses were rather stringent in regards to the conduct of attendees. Impropriety was forbidden and the patronesses guarded the reputation of their establishment fiercely. They met all attendees at their assemblies and they paraded around the room ensuring that their high standards of behaviour were maintained.

Sidney had been fortunate in securing some vouchers for the inaugural Frost Fair Ball. He was acquainted with the redoubtable Countess Lieven who was a friend of his father. She had granted Sidney two vouchers, one for himself and a guest however his guest would be required to pass the muster of the patronesses. Should he or she not be acceptable they would not be granted entry. They would in fact be turned away at the door of the assembly room.

Sidney had begged his sister Diana to assist him in ensuring that Ms. Heywood(Charlotte in his mind) would be acceptable to these most exacting ladies. It would be utterly humiliating should the delightful Charlotte be refused entry. Diana had relished this and suggested that Charlotte and Mrs. Reynolds accompany her to the feted modiste Madame Arnaud. Madame Arnaud's establishment was one of the most desirable in London. Her designs were worn by the most fashionable ladies of the Ton and royalty.

Diana had returned to London from Sanditon two days prior to the ball. This allowed little time to design and make a gown for Charlotte. Charlotte had regained much of her energy and felt that a visit to the modiste would not be too taxing. She was in fact excited by this prospect as she was most looking forward to seeing the world outside her bed chamber. She could not believe that she a village girl would be visiting a royal modiste. It was not something that she had ever thought would happen to her.

She still believed that she was in reverie and would be awoken from it soon. Her life had changed considerably in what was merely a week. How she would return to her usual life she did not know. She vowed to enjoy the visit to the modiste and dancing at Almacks to the utmost. She may never have this opportunities again, she was most fortunate. Charlotte acknowledged that although her fall had been distressing she would never regret meeting the Parkers. It would be difficult to find two more agreeable, courteous gentlemen.

The Parker's physician had paid his final visit and confirmed that Charlotte was recovered and could return to her usual occupations. Once the physician had departed she had requested John's company for a walk in the garden. Even the coldness of the day could not hinder her enjoyment of the fresh air. Gathering her gloves and coat she almost cantered to the garden but remembering where she was she walked in a less equine fashion. Her spirits had been lifted by being out in the tranquil garden of the Parkers. She almost felt that she had returned to her usual self.