Chapter 32: Sunburned

I pushed the chicken around my plate, glad it was something other than crackers and bread for once, but still felt miserable. It had only been two more days, but my body was still sore, I still slept a lot, eating remained difficult to do so it was a lot of small portions throughout the day -Blade managing to sneak me little treats whenever he was the one to grab me food- but the worst part these days was how bored I was.

Even with Ace, Lexi, Blade, Jordan, and Leo, all rotating out and checking on me, I was still able to do very little without wanting to sleep, but I was so sick of being in this room and just lying around napping. Even going for short strolls, playing card games with Leo, watching Jordan cook in the kitchen, too tired to really be of any help besides to taste what he was making, none of it enough.

I could feel how much better I was compared to a few days ago, but it still felt like it would take me ages to get back on my feet properly. The lack of fun and distraction only left me stewing in how painfully aware of how much everything hurt right now. Not to mention, it was hard to have fun when it seemed like all the drama that had gone down in the last few weeks was suffocating me, lingering at the edges of every moment no matter how hard I tried to forget.

I almost wished my brain hadn't quite gotten it together yet and I was still blissfully ignorant.

Anyway, not that I was expecting to be able to get up and party, but I was growing more and more resentful over my situation. I needed stimulation. Distraction. Fun.

"Can we do something? Please? Anything?" I asked, dropping my fork onto my plate with a clatter, which startled Lexi from where she was curled up near the end of my bed with Mazey.

"Like what? Go for another walk?" Ace teased, "I don't know if you've noticed, but you still get winded after a couple of hallways."

I grabbed the nearest pillow and launched it at him, where it smacked him dead in the face. "Not to weak for that, am I?"

"I stand corrected," he said, picking up the weapon and winding up to whip it back, only for Blade to get up and pluck it from his grasp, tossing it back onto my bed and out of his reach with a stern look.

"What do you want to do?" Blade asked me, still eyeing Ace and the pillow sternly.

"What's happening?" Lexi mumbled, yawning as she curled up tighter in a ball.

"Someone is getting cabin fever," Ace explained, "The patient needs entertainment."

"I don't know what to do, there's nothing I really can do," I said, falling onto my back. Sunlight peeked through the cracks in my curtains, beautiful warm rays beaming into my room where they could, bits of dust floating peacefully through the streams of light. Oh, it had been ages since I'd been outside...

"Kiana?" I turned to see Blade watching me.

"I don't know. A movie maybe?" I said, trying to shake off my desire to go out. A sunny summer day with three vampires was simply not ideal.

"Sounds about right for your current level of energy, let's go," Ace said, hopping to his feet and dragging Lexi nearly completely off my bed by her wrists. She wiggled around, groaning and swearing, trying to kick at him. "Come on, Leelee, even Kiana is awake, you have no excuse."

She swung a fist at him but missed and he darted across the room, out of range of her violent limbs. I got up from bed, Blade watching me and hovering, but I managed it okay, it was just slow from aches and pains, at least I wasn't that dizzy anymore. We trooped out into the hall, Lexi and Ace squabbling over movie choices while I focused on putting one foot in front of the other and maintaining at least some of my usual pace. I was so over being sick and was determined to get back to normal as quick as possible, though my body didn't seem to agree with me.