Chapter one: Celina

Many have told me, I am to bring hope. That I am to help save the people.

For I am a child of the moon. The first to be born in nearly a hundred years. So I am a rare sight.

Yet, being a moon child, also means I am to possess great powers. Powers I have not yet seen myself. Forcing me, to not believe those around me.

"Celina. . ." My mothers soft voice calls from the door of my chambers, and suddenly I freeze. I forgot.

Today is my eighteenth birthday. The day I become a leader of my nation. All because I am a moon child.

"I'm not ready yet." I reply, almost automatically. Even if it is a lie. I do not wish to speak with her. This is all to much to handle.

"That's fine dear. You have a few more minutes. anyways." A few minutes. Far to little time.

Her footsteps echo down the stairwell as I look at myself in the mirror.

My silver hair flows down to my waist, twirled in soft curls, falling against the sapphire fabric of my dress. The dress itself is much more elaborate than I would like. For this dress involves me having to wear a corset, a thing I very much hate. Soft silver swirls invade the skirt. The top, showing off a bit of cleavage.

My mother picked this dress. The one I wanted was a simple blue gown. Not a gown that showed everything I had. I was not looking for a suitor.

The only good thing about the ensemble I am wearing, is the necklace. It hangs just above my breasts. Shining against the light. Shaped as a crescent moon.

A gift, from my father. Given to my mother before he died. Meant for today. My birthday.

My fingers graze the necklace. The metal chilling my fingers. Just as I do, the clock strikes twelve. Its hollow sound filling the air. The moons light filling the room.

It is time. The moon child must shine.