one | cherry

BOOK TWO

THE WARM SUMMER sun radiated off of four boys, their limbs stretched out on bright green grass with sunglasses covering their eyes.  One boy, with two pairs of glasses on (one for seeing, one for blocking out the sun), sat up, before glancing around at his three friends.

This is the life, he thought to himself.  The last summer before their seventh year at Hogwarts. The last summer until the real word hits them in a little less than a year.  The thought makes him shiver, despite it being nearly 37 degrees celsius.

"You're blocking the sun, mate." Sirius groans, smacking James on the side before James falls back onto the ground with a laugh.

"I'm just trying to appreciate the sun and my three best friends, Padfoot." James states, placing his arms behind his head.

"Save it for another day." Sirius answers, earning a laugh from his best friend in response.

Summer had been in session for nearly three weeks now.  July, though, had only just begun.  The four boys did their best to do something fun everyday, to make the most out of their last summer as 'kids'.  It was the last time in their lives they wouldn't have any responsibility, there was no way they wouldn't make the most out of that.

James was unable to sit still.  The four were laying out in a park near James' home, and the snow cone stand just across the street was calling James' name.  He felt in his pockets, a smile making its way onto his face when he felt Muggle money in them.  He propped himself up once again.

"Prongs-"

"Shut up, Pads. I'm going to get a snow cone.  Anyone want something?"

Sirius, Remus and Peter all shake their heads no, not even opening their eyes to take a look at their friend.  James shrugs, before fixing his double layering of glasses and standing up, beginning to walk towards the stand.  The mine to order was short, and James happily hopped on. 

He then pulled out his small amount of Muggle money, attempting to count off the exact amount needed before getting up to order.  Although he had been using this money for a while, it still confused him.

"What can I get for ya?" The small, old man behind the stand asked.

"A cherry snow cone, please." James requests, and a moment later it was given to him.  He paid the man and stepped out of line, gazing at his snow cone with a smile on his face. 

Just as he was about to have his first taste, something hit him from behind, sending himself falling forwards and how snow cone face down on the pavement.

"Oh my gosh - I am so sorry! Here, let me help-" A frantic yet soothing voice says, as James feels a pair of hands trying to guide him back to his feet.  His eyes were still on his snow cone, which was past the five seconds that he would still be able to pick it up and eat it.

Whoever had bumped into him had fully helped him up at this point. 

"I'm so sorry - I wasn't looking where I was going.  I can buy you a new snow cone, the line isn't long at all." The voice speaks in a rush.

James finally turns his head to match a voice with a face. 

It was a girl, no older than James himself.  She looked flustered and nervous and embarrassed, her cheeks were flushed red and her hair was frizzy from the humidity (James could tell, since his was the same).  Freckles were scattered about her face and her skin was flawless and tan.  James hadn't realized that she was still talking until she poked his shoulder.

hiya! welcome to book two in my marauder era short story series! james is one of my favorite characters in harry potter, i was very eager to write this one.

i hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

gia