sixteen | just the start of it

IT WAS A normal day in the city. James was walking down a familiar street with his friends - Sirius, Remus and Peter - when he noticed something different. Something odd, that was gaining a lot of attention.

Standing, huddled together, in the park, was a group of people wearing black cloaks. Masks covered their faces, pedestrians on the streets made it very obvious they were avoiding the large group at all costs.  People were getting up and leaving the park, dragging their children with them.

Overall, though, the park was calm.  There didn't seem to be a threat.  James nearly shrugged it off.

Then, all hell broke loose.

The people in the black cloaks whipped out their wands, then beginning to send curses every which way.

"Bloody shit!" Sirius yells, before grabbing a hold of his own wand and running towards the group.

"Sirius! Wait!" James shouts, before doing the same, Remus and Peter hot on his tail. 

The four boys were no match for the group, the Death Eaters outnumbered them 6 to 1, but they did not care. 

James sent every single spell possible their way, though at a safe distance.  He kept looking to his left and right, making sure his three friends were still standing and safe. 

Muggles were screaming now, running away from the scene and seeking shelter inside the shops, cafes and restaurants on the street.  Children were crying, clinging onto their parents for their life.  The parents did not look much better.

Then, the last person James wanted to see during this moment showed up.

The day was beautiful (minus the terrorist attack, of course), so obviously Juliet was in a skirt and a pretty blouse, with her roller skates on.  She had her sketchbook wedged underneath her arm as she turned towards the park, before coming to a quick stop.

Several yards away from her, she watched as James moved his wand quicker than she could process.  He looked scared - Juliet had never seen James looked scared. 

This was the war he must have been talking about... but hadn't he said he wouldn't be fighting until next summer? Juliet hide behind a large tree, watching the fight continue.  She counted nearly 30 people in black cloaks, and only 4 fighting against them.  Three were her friends.  One was a bit more than a friend. 

James kept turning his head now, attempting to keep sight of Juliet.  He couldn't lose her.

Just as Sirius was sent flying backwards from a powerful knock back spell, and Remus was sent face down in the grass and dirt from a Death Eater kicking him from behind, James noticed the four boys had finally gotten help.

Aurors had finally appeared.  People he spent time with at Hogwarts began to appear.  Alastor Moody, Fabian and Gideon Prewitt, Frank and Alice Longbottom, and his parents.  Euphemia and Fleamont Potter, in James' opinion, had never looked so terrifying. 

"Get Sirius and Remus and get out of here! Go home!" Euphemia shouted, stepping in front of James just as a curse was about to hit him.  She blocked it easily, before pushing James backwards.

"No!" James said as he stumbled, though his voice was fragile and filled with fear.  "We've- we've got to help fight!"

Euphemia glared at her son.

"Home! Now!" Fleamont shouted from a few yards away, pushing Peter towards James. 

James felt as if he was going to be sick.  Watching his parents and friends alike fight for their lives, while being outnumbered, was not a comforting sight.  He took a quick look around the park - the park that he had spent so much of his childhood playing in. 

Trees were burning, buildings were crumbling down.  Wizards and Muggles alike were wounded, some dead. 

"C'mon, James!" Peter shouts, while trying to pick Remus up off the ground. 

James rushed over to Peter, assisting him in getting a hold of Remus.  He was still breathing, though knocked unconscious.  The two, with Remus in James' arms, ran towards Sirius, dodging curses and jinx's along the way.  He was under a tree, groaning in pain. 

Crouching beside him, with her roller skates sat beside her, was Juliet Snow.  She had ripped off part of her blouse in an attempt to clean the blood off of Sirius' forehead.

"We've got to go." Peter says, watching as a building explodes as if there was a bomb inside.

James looked towards Juliet, fear evident in her face.

"Hang onto my arm, Juliet. Don't let go.  Peter, you get Sirius.  Back to my house."

Juliet didn't question it.  She grabbed a hold of James' arm, and then she was sent spinning through darkness.  A moment later, she, James and Remus were in a huge house, Peter and Sirius joining a moment later.

"This is the war?" Juliet asks, as James sets Remus down on a couch. 

"This is just the start of it."

kinda a depressing chapter :| 

also a heads up, these last few chapters will all be in this same day, following the events of the death eater attack.

gia