fifteen | the good side

AUGUST WAS WITHERING away right in front of James' eyes, as was Juliet.  She of course did not fully understand what was going to happen when James returned to Hogwarts, though she had a good idea of it.

James and Juliet were tangled together in Juliet's sheets. It was mid afternoon, though the two had no plans on getting up - they were simply enjoying each other's company. James was holding Juliet close against his chest, wishing that he could stay like this forever. Wishing that September first would never come.

"James?" Juliet says softly.

"Mhm." James mumbles, his eyes closed.

Juliet hesitated for a second. She felt nearly guilty wanting to ask her question, though she also needed an answer.

"What will happen once you return to Hogwarts?"

Juliet can feel James' body tense after she finished her question. Part of her regretted asking, knowing that this would probably drive James out of bed and back home for the day. The other part of her, though, needed to know - even if the answer wasn't what she wanted to hear.

"I'm not too sure, Juliet." James says, though his tone was unsure.

Juliet turns her body so she was now facing James. She quirked an eyebrow at him, "I think that's a lie, James Potter."

James sighs, lifting a hand to mess up his hair. He rearranged his position so he was now laying on his back, staring up at the ceiling.

"I don't know if I'll be able to see you afterwards. You see..." James says, beginning to trail off. He takes a deep breath before continuing. "The world I live in is much different that yours - it's a dangerous time to be a wizard, depending what side you're on."

Juliet tilts her head and furrows her eyebrows.

"Side of what?"

"The war." James mumbles, though Juliet heard it.

She finally understood why James had been so hesitant to tell her about who he truly was. She understood why the others had been angry at first, and why she couldn't tell his parents that she knew who they were.

Juliet also understood that after James leaves, she would most likely not be seeing him again.

"What side are you on?" Juliet asks, not noticing how fragile her voice sounds.

James turns his head to her and smiles his goofy smile.

"The good side. Hopefully, the winning side."

"Are you.. are you fighting in it now?"

James hesitates for a moment. "No, not yet. I must wait until after graduation next Spring, then I may begin fighting."

His goofy grin returned to his face as Juliet placed a hand on his cheek and connected her lips to his. Of course James would be fighting in this war. Of course he was on the good side. Everything James stood for was good. Everything James was, was good.

Juliet loved that about James, though a very, very small part of her wished he wasn't so good, so the two could stay together forever.

hope ya enjoyed!

gia