15. It Is a Gift

"The female mind is certainly a devious one, my lord

devious one, my lord."
Vetinari looked at his secretary in surprise.
"Well, of course it is.
It has to deal with the male one."

― Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals

15. It Is a Gift

For some reason it was very hard to measure time in Lothlórien, and Kat could not say how long it took until Legolas returned to the Mirror. When finally he did, he peeked out from behind the hedge almost shyly.

Are you decent? he thought.

Kat checked her reflection. Galadriel's cloak had become a sort of nest, which she would try to worm her way back into whenever she had been away to eat or use a flowerbed as a bathroom.

Probably not, by your standards. My shoulders and arms are bare.

He cautiously came closer, avoiding to look into the bowl, where the water had become littered with dead insects and cat hair.

Boromir said you asked after me. He seemed to be talking to the air above Kat's head.

Yes. Why would he not look at her reflection? It pained her more now that he stood only at a meter's distance. At least, when he had been absent, she could tell herself it was because he wanted to spend time with his elven relatives.

My apologies for not coming sooner. I was taking walks with Gimli.

Am I that scary? The thought slipped out before she could stop it.

His gaze landed on her reflection for a millisecond before darting away again. Nay.

Then why are you acting like I've got the plague?

He sighed and stiffly edged a step closer. It is not your fault. I just... I... He faltered, and appeared to be thinking for a moment. I do not feel comfortable to see... Well. But it is not only that. I also... Hm. It is hard to describe, but I guess it just feels strange. With you as a... person, I mean. Of course, mentally I knew you were a woman, but... there is knowing, and there is knowing, if you get me? I had imagined you differently, and it was shocking to... see the real you. And now it feels almost as if we were strangers. But none of this is your fault, like I said, and I should have come sooner. Sorry.

I see. At another time, Kat might have found it amusing to hear Legolas search for words awkwardly like a school kid during a presentation in class. Not now, however. He had made a mental image of her, and she did not fit it, that much was clear.

And darn, it hurt.

Legolas sat down cross legged in the grass. Shall I tell you what Gimli and I saw during our wanderings in Lothlórien?

No thank you.

A silence followed. Not uncomfortable, as such, just a bit morose.

This situation reminded Kat of an experience she had several years ago, when Pappa was terminally ill with the cancer that later took his life, and Mamma was beginning to show the first signs of dementia. They worried so much Kat would be lonely after they were gone, so for their sake she had decided to get a boyfriend.