.9. ʙɪᴄʜᴏɴᴀsᴀɴᴀ

The moment their eyes met, something akin to a shared understanding that they had found each other and that everything was going to be fine from here on out, passed between them and Jungkook instantly knew to search no further. "What about that little guy over there?" he asked, pointing at a cute yet frail-looking dark-haired bichon sitting in the corner of its cage.

The woman with a name tag that read Roseanne and a clipboard in her hand flipped through a few pages before saying, "this one is called Fifi and she's a lady."

"Oh." Jungkook turned to face Taehyung. "Would Tannie be okay with a female playmate?"

Taehyung burst out laughing. "Don't worry about him. I trust my Yeontan to be able to sweep Fifi off her paws in no time!"

Jungkook put his arms up, spooked by what Taehyung's statement could entail. "Hold on just a minute. Not too fast. I'm not ready to take care of puppies!"

Roseanne cooed over their interaction. "Well, you know what they say."

Both boys shook their heads, utterly clueless. She gave them some kind of look before uttering cheerfully, "first comes the dog. Then comes the baby!"

Jungkook chuckled at the realization that she had mistaken them for a couple but his smile soon fell when he saw the panicked expression on Taehyung's face as he went into full-on PR mode. "We're not together! Nope. No us. No we. Definitely no baby. We're just here to adopt a dog. That is all. No baby. Just a dog."

"Oh forgive me for assuming you were — I'm terribly sorry." She, however, looked more disappointed than sorry. Jungkook, on the other hand, was devastated. There was no way to mistake Taehyung's reaction for anything but rejection. For a second there, he had considered the idea of pretending to be boyfriends as some fun act which could perhaps bring them closer. He had obviously indulged in wishful thinking.

"So, where were we? Ah yes, Fifi. She's had it rough."

Jungkook held on to her words as if they were a lifeline in order to prevent his mind from spiralling into more depressing scenarios in which Taehyung pushed him away and out of his existence completely. He suddenly remembered where they were and braced himself for another horror story. If he could adopt all the dogs of the shelter, he would because one thing he had learned today was that humans could be really cruel to their pets.

"Her owners abandoned her when they moved abroad. They simply left her in the empty apartment. She was starving when we came to fetch her. She would've died were it not for the neighbours who couldn't sleep because of all the whimpering."

Both boys looked properly horrified. Roseanne tried to sound reassuring when she asserted that Fifi was now in good health, albeit still slightly underweight. "Would you like to play with her?" she asked.

Absolutely. Anything to get Jungkook's mind off of Taehyung's somewhat cold shoulder. Fifi had instantly perked up at the word play and it didn't take long for Jungkook to warm up to the numerous wet kisses she insisted on placing on his nose.

After a long awkward silence, Taehyung decided to share a thought he just had. "You know what. She kinda looks like you."

"How so?"

"Well, she's got the black locks down, and beautiful eyes—"

Jungkook felt something stir inside at the choice of word. Beautiful. After what had happened earlier, he knew not to fall into the trap of excess scrutiny for it would invariably lead to further disenchantment. Yet Jimin's voice kept clouding his brain. Could Taehyung be dropping hints on him? Gosh how he wished it was the case. That said, Fifi did have pretty eyes. Perhaps there was nothing to it. Best pretend he hadn't heard anything.

Yet that was the thing: he had in fact heard it. Loud and clear. And if Taehyung's intent had been to compliment Jungkook, wouldn't it be extremely rude of him not to acknowledge it?

"You think — my eyes are beautiful?" he enquired, a little insecure.

Taehyung bit his bottom lip. "You heard that."

He sure had and now Jungkook was freaking out because everything about the other radiated one vibe and one vibe only: regret. "Don't worry about it. I can pretend I didn't hear it — if it makes you uncomfortable." Of course this was the least Jungkook could do to dissipate the lingering awkwardness, pretend there was nothing to it. Pretend his ears had played a trick on him. Pretend his heart was not presently cracking.

Jungkook's dejected face caused Taehyung's discomfort to double down. "I just don't want things to get — weird, you know."

Jungkook nodded and tried his darndest to sound unaffected when he said "yeah, sure," but anyone could tell his voice had been this close to breaking. In order to deflect attention from his current state of misery, he decided to focus on the bichon in his lap, suddenly enthralled by the way Fifi expressed her happiness at being pet, wagging her fluffy tail so excitedly her whole rear end was shaking. "Wow, Fifi! You like twerking?" he joked.

How was it possible for Jungkook's shattered heart to still flutter at the sound of a mere chuckle? Could Taehyung's laugh potentially hold a greater power than his already devastating smile? Jungkook turned his head hoping to catch the shy grin creeping on the other's face, and almost leaned in for a kiss.

Whoa. Now that most definitely would have made things really weird between them.

Jungkook's eyes widen as he realized what he had been about to do. He absolutely needed to get a hold of himself and put a lid on his feelings which were presently running wild. When, why and how had he allowed himself to fall so hard?

Lucky for him, Roseanne returned, asking whether they had made up their minds yet. Jungkook already knew he couldn't possibly choose another dog. Even if looking into Fifi's dark orbs would remind him of Taehyung's unintended admission and how it could have been the start of something, were it not for Jungkook's lack of trust in his ability to decipher Taehyung's true motives behind the slip-up. "When can I bring her home?" he asked Roseanne as he handed over the filled-out paperwork.

"The forms will be reviewed by the end of the week. This should give you time to make the necessary appointments and perhaps get the supplies you need to welcome her in her new home."

Taehyung giggled at Jungkook's panicked expression. "Don't worry. It's a standard exam at the vet's. I can recommend the one I take Tannie to."

Jungkook sighed, relieved. "What about the supplies? What do I need?"

"You're in luck: not only is my schedule clear today, but I happen to be in the mood for shopping!"

Oh dear.

As much as Jungkook wished to spend more time in Taehyung's company, he didn't think indulging in domestic activities such as shopping for dog collars would help him get over his crush. On the other hand, he had no clue what kind of supplies he needed and Taehyung's assistance in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

"Are you in?" asked Taehyung, still waiting for Jungkook to say something.

"We can go shopping, but on one condition."

"Which is?"

"Let's grab coffee afterwards."

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡