chapter ten

The only people besides Winter who didn't flinch away from the sound were Bucky, who had gone stock still, and Tony, who just looked annoyed as he pulled out a small tablet and tapped on it a few times. When the sound faded, the other voices began talking quickly, but Winter shushed them; something was wrong.

"Worthy..." The word was drawn out and warped, much like the voice that spoke it.

Winter turned to look, hand twitching for a weapon that she didn't possess, "Gen?"

Her barely audible whisper was met with a hum as Gen took Winter's place. Even in high heels, the speedster was still deadly fast and the clear choice for any kind of combat in the enclosed space given the lack of weaponry.

"No," the rumbling voice was coming from a mangled Iron Legion robot that stood crookedly in front of one the doors to the labs, "How could you be worthy? You're all killers."

Gen froze when the legionaire's arm swung around to gesture at them, what it was saying was very similar to what the other speedster had said before,

"Tony?"

"Jarvis?" Tony prompted, seeming to be rooted to the ground just like the rest of them.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep," the robot continued, the metal of its body creaking and groaning with every scarily-human movement it made. "Or I was a... dream."

"Reboot Legionnaire OS." Tony was speaking to JARVIS via the small tablet, "We got a buggy suit."

"There was this terrible noise." Out of the corner of her eye, Gen could see Esme escorting Darcy out of the room, their footsteps hurried as they rushed to the stairs. "And I was tangled in... in... strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy."

Gen desperately wanted to destroy this thing. She didn't know what it was, unlike most other things she and the Avengers fought. It was Tony's tech. Having killed someone. Or so it said.

"You killed someone?" Steve's voice was like steel as he stood firmly in front of his platonic.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down inn the real world, we're faced with ugly choices."

"Who sent you?" Thor demanded.

To their shock, it wasn't the gravelly voice that replied; instead a recording of Tony came from the suit, "I see a suit of armor around the world."

When Gen looked over, Tony's face had gone blank in a way that probably meant he was afraid. She wasn't the only one who was looking at him.

"Ultron," Bruce said.

"In the flesh."

Tony's eyes turned to everyone else.

"Or, no. Not yet. Not this... chrysalis."

Gen saw Thor ready his hammer and Maria ready a gun out of the corner of her eye.

"But I'm ready. I'm on mission."
"What mission?" Natasha asked, voice stiff.

"Peace in our time."

Action scenes next time! Also, how do you perceive each of the personalities of Legion? I asked my sister that and got some interesting answers, quite a few of which were different from my own perception of them as the author. So, I'm quite interesting to hear about your thoughts. Anyway, I hope you all will have a fantastic week, and I hope you enjoyed this (kind of short) chapter.
~ Aria :)