chapter four

Later on (and by that she meant a grand total of six minutes and fifty three seconds later), Winter was on a gurney right beside Clint (who'd gotten shot on the way to her), listening to the comms and attempting to figure out the best way to dig the bullet out of her leg using the tools in the medical kit they kept on the quinjet. Thor was pacing in the quinjet, having been the one to take the two of them back to the quinjet while Natasha stayed behind to fight.

"We're locked down here," Natasha's voice sounded over the comms.

"Then get to Banner for a lullaby," Steve replied.

The comms went quiet for a few moments, then, "We have a second enhanced. Female. Do not engage."

"There's another one?" Winter said to no one in particular, then raised one hand up to the comm in her ear, while the other was digging through the medical kit, "Did you get Strucker?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I got... something bigger," Tony told them.

"Is it the scepter?" Winter questioned, finally pulling out a set of tweezers, figuring that they were probably her best bet.

"I've got eyes on the prize," those words finally causing Thor to stop his incessant pacing.

"Have fun on the way back," Winter told them, now cheerful as the quiet was allowing her to completely focus, "We're finally done with this scepter business."

"Now to deal with the bullet business," she muttered under her breath.

Suffer, Winter froze right before starting to get the bullet. That wasn't her. That was the person in her head. Were they suffering? Or were they wishing it on someone else?

-----------------------------------------

A few minutes, a lot of blood, and a roll of gauze later, Gen was back in control, her accelerated healing working on the wound as the rest of the Avengers began to file into the quinjet, "Why would they think that?" Alison questioned, "What happened?"

"I have no idea," Kae replied, just as frightened by the message as the rest of them, "I don't think it was for us though."

Winter, who's been unusually quiet since telling them about the message, spoke again, "It can't have been at us. It was filled with so much... hatred."

Beside Gen, sat Bruce, who was buried in the classical music that the Avengers often found him listening to as a tool to keep calm. To distract herself, she figured that she would strike up a conversation with him,

"Natasha said that the lullaby worked better than ever."

He pulled the headphones off his head, letting them hang around his neck, "I just wasn't expecting a Code Green."

"The Hulk isn't all bad," Gen reassured, "I'm pretty sure that he isn't the idiot most people make him out to be."

"Hey, Bruce, Legion," Natasha greeted.

"Gen, actually," the speedster told her, being used to having to clarify who she was much of the time.

Gen moved over to let Natasha sit between her and Bruce, then, after seeing the expressions on their faces, decided it would be better to move to another area of the quinjet. Her first stop was to the single slice of leftover pizza that she'd stashed before Thor or Tony could get to it. Her second stop was Steve, who was standing on the far side of the jet,

"What do you know about the two metas?"

"Huh?" Steve's gaze shifted from the view outside over the the speedster.

"The enhanced?" she rephrased.

"Oh, not all that much," he began, "Maria said she'd look into it for when we get back."

"Okay," Gen nodded before taking another bite of pizza, "I was wondering, because the speedster had no idea he was even a speedster."

After Steve went back to what he was doing, staring out the window, that is, Gen limped her way over to where Tony was seated, then leant over his shoulder to look at the GPS map, "Any chance we could make a pit stop for breakfast?"

"You aren't satisfied with that pizza that clearly exists?" the man scowled pointedly at the offending food which the speedster was finishing off, "You said there wasn't anymore left."

"I lied," Gen grinned, not at all ashamed, "So, breakfast? We can get croissants if we stop in Paris."

Tony hugged, but his scowl soon faded away, "We should celebrate..."

"Yes!" Gen fist pumped, prompting everyone else on the quinjet to look up and laugh.

Hello everyone, this will be my first update since the hiatus, so thank you if you're still reading. The suffer thing was pretty creepy, right? Plots continue to develop. Also, pastries for Gen in the next chapter. I hope you all have a fantastic day, and I hope to see you all again with chapter five.
~ Aria