chapter three

"Legion, the city is taking fire," Gen paused as JARVIS's voice spoke over her comms unit.

"I'm on it," she said, elbowing a Hydra soldier in the nose before running off in the opposite direction of the other Avengers, sweeping people off of their feet as they tried to run after her friends.

However, when she got there, the Sokovian civilians had crowded around one of Tony's more recent projects, the Iron Legion (none of them were amused when he named the robots after them, they didn't just do crowd control), and were in the middle of pelting them with different things, including a tomato and a bottle of something that melted the face of number 3.

"Avengers, go home!"

Kae scoffed, taking control for a moment so that she could raise a hand up to the comm in her ear, "I told you no one likes these things, Tony. They're creepy."

"We need you back here," was his reply, "The Iron Legion can cover more ground anyway."

"All the Iron Legion is doing is gathering more of a crowd, have fun with repairs, Stark," she managed to duck to avoid an oncoming projectile aimed at a robot behind her.

"Tony's right, Legion," Steve broke in, "We need you back here."

Kae groaned, but let Gen back into the driver's seat so that she could speed off back to where the battle was actually taking place. The speedster raced through the snow, the friction caused by her running leaving melted tracks from where she'd stepped. She kept running until she reached Clint, who was in the middle of looking around a tree and setting up a shot to take out a nearby bunker.

Gen balked when she saw someone race by, a different kind of lightning following them. She hadn't been in the middle of the speedforce herself, so she couldn't get a clear look at them, but the blur they left behind was a silvery blue and seemed to be rippling like ribbons, a stark contrast to her own harsh yellow lightning. It was after she caught a glance of him that she slipped into superspeed again.

As Clint inched around the tree, she caught sight of the speedster again, moving in a normal speed in comparison to the slow movement of everything else. Just as he was about to punch the archer off of his feet, Gen acted, running forward, only slightly faster that the pale haired man. She reached out and grabbed his arm, spinning him around off of his path, smirking when he was thrown into a tree and out of the speedforce.

"So, Hydra huh?" she asked, "Wrong choice."

"I do not think so," he replied, his accent surprisingly heavy.

He then thought it was a good idea to speed up again, throwing her backward into Clint, who was in the middle of lining up yet another shot at the bunker. Seeming satisfied with the fact he'd somewhat bested her, he slowed down just long enough to smirk at her before speeding off again,

"Didn't see that coming?"

Gen growled, annoyed, "Have fun, Clint. Try not to get yourself killed while I deal with this idiot."

She shot back up, running after the blur that had left her behind. The speedster easily caught up with him, keeping pace with him easily. And, when he had to dodge around the tree, she blurred, phasing through it (and no, Kae, she wasn't showing off) before throwing a right hook at the other speedster. He barely dodged it, but by doing so he had set himself up for a well placed kick to the backs of his knees.

"Didn't see that coming?" she asked mockingly as his leg gave out, "Why do all villains have catch phrases?"

The silver haired man huffed, "Why do all Avengers hurt people?"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she asked offended as she jumped over a sweep of his leg as he got up.

"You get whatever you want-" punch-kick-block- "You don't consider the normal people-" block, punch-sweep- "The little people-" punch-kick-punch- "You don't bother trying to save us-" crack!

Gen shook her hand out, she hadn't meant to hit him that hard, but she was mad, "All I do is this about the people who can't do what we can. That's what I do. I don't do this because I really want to hit someone. I do it because I know that what you have in there. That scepter. That hurt people. I'm here to make sure it doesn't hurt anyone else."

She scowled as he held his nose, blood running through his fingers, "You're fine, your healing should kick in any moment now."

"What healing?" he asked as Gen caught a few of the bullets aimed at her.

"You have accelerated healing, don't you?"

"Why would I?" he asked as Gen pretended not to notice how he was slowly getting into a good position for bringing her down.

"You're a speedster," she stepped to the right, out of the way of whatever he'd been planning.

"I don't know what that is," he said, shifting forward then lashing out, catching the back of her foot with his ankle, tripping her up just long enough to get her into a choke hold.

Gen hooked her leg around his, causing them both to fall backward into the snow. She rolled away from him,

"How can you not know what a speedster is? You are one."

He got up before her, "I'm not like you."

Gen was about to reply when a bullet ripped through her leg and she fell out the speedforce and into the snow, which was rapidly becoming stained with blood, with a scream.

----------------------------------------------

"What-?" Winter shouted in surprise before going into soldier mode and taking over, "The bullet's still in your leg, let me deal with it."

Winter paid no attention to the man looking at her in badly masked horror and instead focused on the wound in her calf. She grabbed a handful of snow and pressed it to the wound, trying to stop the bleeding with that one hand while she activated her comms with the other,

"I've been shot. I repeat, Legion is down."

"What?" Steve exclaimed, "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, Gen wasn't paying attention."

"I'm on my way with Clint," Natasha reassured hurriedly, probably having been in the middle of beating a few Hydra agents to a pulp, "Keep pressure-"

"On the wound," Winter finished for her, "I'm already on it. The bullets still in my leg, though. I'm gonna need medical."

None of them even noticed when the silver haired speedster ran away.

Oops... When I started this chapter I hadn't meant for Legion to end up being shot. I guess that's just how it turned out then. Fun. Also, I guess with that meeting you can cross another person off of the "Legion's Potential Soulmate" list. It's going to be a while until that bombshell rolls around. So, until next time, I hope you all have a wonderful week, and I'll see you all again with chapter four.
~Aria