Preface

Hi everyone, and welcome to the character anthology for the Happy Accidents series! Please note: if you are new to the series I'm writing, this book WILL contain spoilers for released chapters in the various books that have come out. IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS, do not read past the preface and reading order chapters.

Some things to note:

- Currently, the fics cover about a three month period or so of time. Yes, a lot has happened, but not as much time has passed than you may think.

- For the best reading experience, it is highly, highly, highly recommended that you keep up with all stories that come out. Details of events that happen in one story will not always be explained in the other stories; it will be written under the assumption that you are following all the stories as one whole plot. There will be a lot of crossover between the stories, especially as the plot begins to thicken.

- Character ages and age gaps are more flexible in this AU; for example, Kakashi's only 3-4 years older than Team 7 or so, despite being their superior.

- Character familial relations may be tweaked or changed for plot reasons. Generally, this will be in the form of added familial relations; for example, Menma Namikaze as a cousin on Naruto's father's side, or Madara is Sasuke's uncle and not more of a grandparent, etc. There may also be other alterations made for plot purposes, as character ages are very flexible in the AU.

- I've done my best to fit each character into canon, but there may be tweaks. It's hard to translate certain aspects of characters from ninja life to modern/crime-based, so some tweaks have had to be made to characters in order to fit them in.

- Most main ship(s) in the books will follow their canon relationships. For any characters who have not shown a tendency toward a particular gender for sexuality, it is to be assumed they are bisexual until proven otherwise (or the writing leads them otherwise). Generally speaking, in the existence of this universe, identities/concepts/activities/lifestyles such as homosexuality, transgender, drag, and other aspects of the LGBTQ+ community will be considered normal within the universe (meaning there are no negative connotations of them). Since this is a crime-centric AU, I don't feel comfortable playing with hate crimes against these groups as a theme for cases, so in all aspects it is safe to assume it will not be based on hate crimes. That being said, this does mean they still have as much potential to be an assailant (or victim) in the story's crimes as any other character; however, the reasonings/motivations behind the crimes won't be based on hate crimes. The only exceptions to "normalcy" for anything related to sexuality are pedophilia, incest, and necrophilia. These concepts/identifications are not considered "normal" nor positive.

- Characters without last names will be given last names for legal consistency within the AU. I will do my best to relate them back to the characters (ex. "Katsu" being Deidara's detonation catchphrase, thus it's now his last name).

- Are you an artist that feels inspired by the work? Let me know! If you've got the urge to draw something for the series, I'd love to see it & I'd be happy to feature it in the character chapter for them (with links back to Wattpad, Patreon, Twitter, dA, whatever platform you use for your art). This is by artist choice (I'm not commissioning, I already have a specific artist for commissions for these works) but rather an option for you to be featured if you'd like a shoutout.

- Want to write your own story within the AU that doesn't already have one? Contact me! I'm more than willing to discuss a collaborative effort for such things.