Chapter 8- Warm feeling.

The bright sun peeked through the trees letting warmth spread around. The sky had some soft-looking clouds and the air filled with a fine breeze. The small molly sighed and looked at the golden she-cat sleeping beside her. Mothwing. For a moment Leafpool was confused as to why she was with Mothwing in the first place, then the memories came rushing back to her like a waterfall.

Of course! She had spent the night with Mothwing! Last night was still a blur, and Leafpool found herself feeling very tired and achy. Her fur was matted and covered with herbs, and wet, sticky mud. Underneath her paws, she found a bed of wet moss and dirt. Leafpool looked up to find the sky a clear blue with few clouds. A tall pine tree was on her left, and on her right was an old log or tree branch of some kind. Leafpool smiled. It had been a while since she had really been away from the clans, apart from her journey of giving birth. The Golden Tabby beside her gave Leafpool a warm feeling, and she bent down to quietly mew in Mothwing's ear.

"Mothwing...we need to get up...what if the clan starts looking for us?" Her words were soft, and though she wanted more than anything to stay here with the beautiful RiverClan cat, she knew they both needed to head back.

The golden tabby mumbled something Leafpool didn't catch, then she got up shakingly and stretched her legs. It seemed like Mothwing was hurt too, and Leafpool noticed a longing look in her eyes.

"Leafpool, about last night-" Mothwing started, but Leafpool wasn't listening, rather worried about her friend.

"Mothwing..are you okay?"

"Leafpool im fine, trust me, but I need to tell you something, last night-"

Leafpool cut her off guessing what she was going to rant on about. "Oh Mothwing, don't worry about it, I trust you not to tell my secret...." Leafpool trailed off as if she was thinking of something else. "We should probably head back..." Trailing off again, she shook her head. What's wrong with me? "we need to head back.." Leafpool continued but was interrupted by Mothwing.

"To the clans, I know...I just.." The pretty cat looked as if she has something to say, a longing look filled her gaze as she stared at Leafpool, but after a while, her amber eyes drifted away with a sad look and she just stared at her paws. "Never mind.. let's go" Mothwing gave a small smile and began to walk away, signaling with her tail for Leafpool to follow.

What was that about? Leafpool wondered as she trailed not far behind her friend. Maybe Mothwing was mad at her, but what did she do? Does she not like me anymore...is it because I had kits?? Kits. the thought of her kits, growing up without knowing their real mother, or father for that matter, made Leafpool shiver. When she had given birth to her kits, she wanted more than anything to raise them. They were so beautiful in every way. Lionkit looked so strong, and brave, while Jaykit...though he was born blind Leafpool knew he would make a good medicine cat. And Hollykit...she was the spitting image of Crowfeather. No. Leafpool shook the thought away. I don't want to think of Crowfeather...not when... Again her thoughts trailed off and she found herself starring at the golden tabby.

Why do I keep thinking of her? Why do I catch myself staring into her sparkling eyes? She's just a friend. Leafpool wanted to scold herself for this. This was not how friends were supposed to feel. This was the feeling that she got when she was with Crowfeather! No! Not him again.

"Leafpool we need to talk-" Mothwing again tried to continue, however, Leafpool had something different filling her thoughts.

The brown tabby gazed at her friend for a moment before nuzzling closer to her. Leafpool purred in Mothwing's ear. "Thank you...for letting me be myself with you, you're a true friend Mothwing." The words that had come out of her mouth felt off in some way like they weren't quite right. But at that moment nothing really mattered. To Leafpool the only thing that mattered is that they were together right then and there. The presence of Mothwing gave Leafpool an amazing feeling once again. She didn't care if they would be late, or if the clans would start looking, the only thing she wanted most in the world was Mothwing. As the ThunderClan cat was pressed up against her, the warmth from Mothwing's thick fur spread to Leafpool.