Different

"I've met someone.. She's the most special being I've ever laid my eyes on.. I swear." I said on the phone, some days later.

"Really? Wow.. You sound pretty excited and happy.." my brother Ramy responded.

"That's because I am both excited and happy! She's different. She totally gets me, and treats me well, I don't think she could ever hurt me or betray me, not like the others did."

"I'm so happy to hear that! I'd love to meet her."

"You can come anytime you want! She'd be thrilled to meet you! And you'll adore her! She's funny, loving and perfect in a unique way!"

And so some days later my brother was about to pay a visit to me and her.
I made sure to tell Indie, she got extremely nervous at first but still was happy to meet Ramy. We spent hours on cleaning the house and cooking, I didn't want Indie to put herself into that, but she insisted. Some minutes before Ramy's arrival I began feeling nervous as well, because I wanted the two of them to like each other. But she was the perfect girl. That thought made me relax a little bit, everything was going to be fine.

The doorbell rang and I smiled to Indie to calm her down, before going to open the door.
I saw my brother standing there and I felt glad to see him. Since the day I had met Indie, I had almost completely isolated myself, stayed away from everybody. I was so drown into her, that I only wanted to spend my time with her. But who wouldn't be happy to finally see his brother again?

"Ramy! Come in!" I said in a cheerfull tone and let him in the house.

"I brought some flowers for.. you know." he awkwardly said. He wasn't used to meeting female 'friends' of mine, since I was never the type of person who shares a lot of information about his personal life.

"You can give these to her yourself. She'll love it! Come meet her!" I excitedly said and made him follow me to the living room.
"Indie!" I shouted in a calm way. Where was she?

"Hi.." she hesitantly said as she showed up. My eyes lit up.

"Come meet Ramy! Don't be shy!" I smiled at her. Ramy stood behind me without saying a word.
"Give her the flowers!" I mumbled to him. All I wanted was to break the ice.

"I will." he quietly said, but didn't make a move.

"Come closer! Don't be shy Indie!" I repeated and she slowly walked towards me.
"Ramy got you some flowers!" I added and looked back at my brother.

"Who are you talking to brother?" Ramy furrowed his eyebrows.

"Indie... That's her." I pointed at the girl across from us.

"There's literally nobody standing there..." Ramy said with a confused expression on his face, Indie looked at me terrified for a second.

"Are you two trying to pull a prank on me?" I chuckled. I wasn't planning on falling for one of her jokes again.

"You're not funny... Where is she?" Ramy asked.

"Stop playing around... This is Ramy, and this is Indie." I pointed to each of them, to introduce them to each other.

"Am I supposed to share a hand-shake with the air, or what?" my brother questioned in a weird tone.

"Stop it already... Be a little friendlier." I said annoyed as I payed attention to Indie, that had started getting all misty-eyed.

"Seems like the isolation hurt you brother... Having imaginary friends is creepy.. Now I know why Indie is so different.. She's non' existent, that's why." Ramy shaked his head.

"Why are you being so rude?" I asked.

"Because you made me believe you were seeing somebody... And now you're trying to introduce me to a ghost, or whatever. I should have known better, you've never mentioned anyone before.. Why would you do that now.." he gave me a disapproval look, Indie hid her face behind her hands and quickly ran off.

"You're unbelievable... I can't deal with your nonsense right now.." I gave him a death glare.

"Whatever... I'm out of here... And contact mom, you need help. If you don't, I'll do it." Ramy threw the flowers on the coffee table and then left.

I quickly made my way upstairs to check on Indie. I had no idea why everything went wrong that day, I didn't want her to blame herself and feel bad though. She tried.. my brother had just decided to act like a jerk for no reason, right?

"Indie.. Can I come in please?" I knocked on the closed door.

"I don't know... I wouldn't want you to see me in this condition.." she quietly spoke and I realized she was crying.

"Let me in please.... It's not your fault.. Stop crying.." I desperately said and the door slowly opened.
"Come here angel, wipe those tears away.." I instantly put her in a hug and wiped her tears with my hand.

"I'm.. I'm invisible.." she sobbed.

"You're not.. You're the most amazing girl I've met. If somebody can't see it, then they're stupid. You radiate from miles away." I kissed the top of her head.

"Will you still believe in me, even when the others can't?" she asked.

"I believe in you and the way you make me feel. Now let me see that beautiful smile of yours." I smiled at her and she hesitantly smiled back at me.

"You're perfect.." she exclaimed and I hugged her tighter.

"My sweet girl.. I'll plan something nice for the two of us. That'll make both of us feel better!"

"You're so considering Tamino.."

"You just deserve to be happy, and I'll do anything I can, to make you feel real happiness." I said, then I spent the rest of the afternoon, lying next to her and quietly singing for her, until she fell asleep. No one will ever hurt this girl again, I thought to myself.. Kinda ironic, now that I'm thinking about it.