John X Reader: Fighter Girl

You have always known that you're stronger than most people. You've knocked out men twice your size with only one punch, before they could even raise their fist. Unlike most fathers, yours has never had a problem with your fighting. He's always encouraged you to train harder and stick up for yourself when someone pushes you too far. So, you do.

You and your younger brother, Bonnie, have spent years fighting in fairs or with people you meet while travelling, all in an attempt to get stronger and better at fighting. You've both done so well that they won't let your family in the fairs any more, and the few people who used to be willing to fight you have learned that it's best to say no to your challenges.

Very few people want to fight a girl anyway, so you're used to being turned down. Bonnie, however, has rarely been refused, which is probably why he's so excited to go to Small Heath. You have to admit, you are as well. You always hear that city people are vicious, so there's bound to be some men that won't turn you down when you challenge them. Who knows, maybe the Shelby's will set up fights for you. After all, that is what your dad is trying to get from them.

After killing two men for the Shelby's and witnessing a stand-off between Thomas Shelby and your dad, you wind up in a stable with your dad and brother. You're feeding your horse when you hear footsteps entering. Tommy sits down beside your dad, and they speak for a few moments, before Bonnie is motioned forward. He begins rapidly punching the air, fighting an invisible enemy to show off his skill. Admittedly, it's not that impressive, more goofy looking than anything, but Tommy agrees to test his skill in a real fight.

"There's one more thing," your father tells the Shelby leader, "my daughter's a fighter, too."

Tommy looks you up and down, sizing you up. You turn to face him fully, staring at him expectantly. You've come too far to back down now.

"I have no women for her to fight," he finally says.

"I can fight men with no problem at all," you reply, not letting him write you off.

"I don't think any of my men would want to fight a woman."

"Have you asked them? You'd be surprised at the amount of men who are willing to hit a woman."

Tommy sighs, rubs his face and rolls his eyes. You can tell he just wants to walk away, that he doesn't even want to humour you. But you're not backing down, and your dad and Bonnie are staring at him expectantly.

Finally, he nods.

"Alright," he concedes, "I'll find someone."

With that, he leads you, dad, and Bonnie into a factory, where his older brother begins gathering the men and setting up an area for the fights. Tommy continues walking through the building, and you and your brother follow him. He eventually finds the man he's looking for.

"There he is, Billy Mills!" Tommy calls out, "former heavyweight champion of Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Hello, Billy."

A large man turns to look at him when he hears his name being called, a scowl on his face.

"Yeah," the man replies, "and now I work for you, Mr. Shelby. For not enough money."

Tommy pulls a wad of cash out of his coat pocket and hands it all to the man.

"Right, is that enough for ya?"

"Enough for what?" Billy asks, still scowling.

"Someone here wants to fight ya," Tommy explains, turning back to your brother, "Bonnie Gold. C'mere, son."

Bonnie takes off his hat and walks forward. Billy looks your brother up and down, unimpressed by his small stature.

"I'm an 'eavyweight," he points out, "he's a welterweight at best."