CHAPTER 14

CAROLINE

It feels weird to have the house to myself on Friday night.

I hadn't realized how quickly I got used to living with Brianna and Xander until I find myself not liking the silence that night after Chase drops me off. Brianna is always making noise in her room. She usually has music playing or she's on the phone with her friends or she's watching TV in the living room. Xander is less chaotic in that sense. On the weekends, he's usually out running or working out in the backyard or in the pool. Yes, I admit that I steal a couple glances when he's out there and I feel a little disappointed when I wake up on Saturday and don't have that view when I look out my window.

I know I shouldn't feel this way. I should be glad that I have the house to myself for the first time since they moved in. I should hate living with them. I should be counting down the days until I don't have to see them again...I should be packing my bags and leaving. If I felt the urgency I should feel, I would move in with Chase but I don't. Not because I don't understand how risky it is to keep living under the same roof as Xander-I do. I just don't want to leave.

I don't know what I'm waiting for. He already discovered one of my secrets. I shouldn't be waiting around for him to discover the rest of them. I should leave before I end up in bed with him. I should leave before he starts digging into my past and finds out the truth. I should-but I don't want to.

Sandra is another reminder that I should move out.

We meet up for lunch on Saturday morning to work on a paper from one of our classes together and all I can think about is what Xander said to me the other night.

For the record, I would've taken you home if I would've seen you that night.

I'm aware of the fact that he's a big flirt and he could've very well just said that to flatter me and get me to sleep with him. I have no way of knowing if he's being honest but it's still flattering to think that he is. Sandra is beautiful. She really takes care of herself and always looks her best. It always made sense why Xander took her home that night and they're still sleeping together so he obviously likes her.

I frown at the thought.

"What?" Sandra asks as she reaches for her coffee.

"Oh, nothing," I say sheepishly. "I just remembered I have work today. Late shift."

"Oh, that sucks," she says then she looks down and checks her phone for, what seems, the hundredth time since we sat down.

"Are you expecting a call?" I ask casually as I look at my laptop screen.

"No," she says. "A text back."

I look at her and I ask her before I can stop myself. "From Xander?"

She smiles. "Was it too obvious the other night?"

"Yeah." I lie. "He's the man you've been hooking up with, isn't he?"

"He is," she says with a smile. "I think you were with me on the night it started almost a year ago. I don't know if you remember."

"I think I do," I say, pretending to be thinking about it.

"I'm sorry I hadn't told you his name," she says, putting a strand of hair behind her ear. "He's a very private man and it's super casual."

"Didn't you say it's almost been a year?" I ask then smile, trying to seem like I'm teasing her. "Doesn't seem very casual."

"Oh, it is." she laughs. "It's strictly physical," she says quietly even though there isn't anyone sitting close to us.