CHAPTER 20

CAROLINE

I look out the window as the bus moves and try not to fall asleep. It's late on Monday night and I'm exhausted. The bus is mostly empty, there's only about five of us, so it's quiet and the bus moving is cooing and relaxing. It makes you want to take a nap, especially at night.

I have a book open on my lap because I intended to study on the ride but my eyes feel too heavy to read. It was a long day at school and work today. Finals are approaching quickly and the professors like to dump new information until the day before the exam, it's been hard to keep up lately. I keep reminding myself that it's almost over. I just have to hold on for a few more weeks and I'll be done with school.

I try not to think about how I don't have any plans once I graduate. When I began working on getting my Master's degree, I had a whole plan. I knew what I was going to do once I graduated. My future was secure and I was excited for it. That, of course, changed and it's depressing to think about it. I've often wondered what the point is of even continuing with school but I know this hard work will pay off one way or another.

I shut the book closed on my lap when I realize that my stop is next. I grab my backpack and clutch the thick book against my chest then I stand up when the bus stops. The doors open and I step out of the bus. It drives off and I start walking down the sidewalk.

It's a chilly night and I'm suddenly on alert as I walk down the dark street.

I don't notice the car that is parked across the street from the house until I'm walking up to the house and a man gets out of the car. I don't look at him and keep my eyes on my feet, hoping he's here for another house.

"Excuse me, miss."

I wince and clutch the book against my chest nervously. "Please leave me alone," I say as I keep walking.

"I just have a few questions," he says as he walks next to me.

We're on the pathway up to the house now and I unzip the pocket of my backpack and pull out the keys. I usually walk with them in my hand at night, just in case. This is the first time something like this happens and I have a feeling that it has to do with the paparazzi spotting me this morning when they were waiting for Kendra. I spent most of the afternoon going through news articles about Kendra Sullivan, hoping I didn't see any of the pictures they took of me. I just saw one. I was looking down and the cap covered most of my face. I was starting to feel relieved that I wasn't interesting enough to rise questions but I realize that I may be wrong.

"What is your relationship to the Sullivan's?" the reporter asks when I don't say anything. "Have you been living here for long?"

I stop and face him, feeling annoyed and trying to hide my panic at the questions he's asking. He seems young. He's tall and slim and I look at his face, wanting to memorize it for some reason. "Please leave me alone."

"What's your name?" he asks, ignoring my plea. "Are you related to the Sullivan's? Or are you Xander Sullivan's girlfriend?"

"Please leave." I repeat, glaring at him so he knows I'm starting to get angry.

He smiles. "Just answer the questions and I'll leave."

"I don't have to answer anything." I tell him angrily. "Leave me alone or I'll call the police."

He chuckles. "There's no need to get so aggressive. Just tell me who you are and I'll leave in peace."

"Leave me alone." I repeat.

He looks at me and smiles amusedly. The fact that he finds my anger funny is making me even more angry. "Just-"

"She told you to leave her alone."