CHAPTER 5

XANDER

Caroline was saying the truth.

As I check my mother's checking account on Sunday morning, I realize that five hundred dollars have been deposited monthly for the past four months. I don't know how we didn't notice that. It also explains why the house already had utilities.

It's still so strange to me why my mother had been letting Caroline live in this house practically for free. Though at the same time, my mother loved a good charity case. She was always donating to organizations and helping people in need. She was always giving back to her community, so I can see her sympathizing for her friend's homeless daughter. She wouldn't have turned away from Caroline. She would've helped her and that's what she did.

That's the only reason I've decided to let Caroline stay. I see it as a way of honoring my mother's wish. Just for three more months. It was out of character for me to change my mind and my mother's memory was the only reason. She wouldn't have kicked Caroline out overnight. She was too kind for her own good in my opinion.

I stand up and walk to the window. The neighborhood seems pretty calm, but I'm still going to install new security cameras. One can never be too safe. I already called Tracy and gave her the new address. She was my mother's housemaid. Though, I know she was more than that. She's known us since we were kids so I know I can trust her. I contacted her after I learned that I had Brianna's custody. I'm not a housemaid. I didn't have to worry about feeding someone other than myself and my diet is pretty low maintenance. So for the past few months, Tracy has been coming over to my condo to cook food. She's not a full-time maid for us as I refuse to spoil Brianna like that. She can clean after herself. It's been an adjustment because our mother had Tracy clean after Brianna. She was way too spoiled.

I'm looking out the window when I suddenly see Caroline running down the sidewalk, making her way to the house. She's wearing black leggings with a matching sports bra and running shoes. She has her headphones on. She slows down into a walk as she reaches the house.

There's something about her. I can't shake the feeling that she's keeping something from me. I know she wasn't lying about my mother letting her stay here, so what is she lying about? Why did she insist on staying here? She could've easily moved in with her boyfriend. Unless he's not her boyfriend?

I shake my head and step away from the window. Normally, this would be none of my business but it is now considering she's my roommate. I have to make sure I don't have an indecent person living with my little sister. I can run a background check on her. I'll need to find out her last name. Seriously, what was my mother thinking in leasing the house without any paperwork? She must've really trusted Caroline. Why didn't she ever mention this to us? What else did she keep from us?

Suddenly in need for some coffee, I grab my keys and head downstairs. Brianna is in the kitchen toasting some bagels.

"Those are not ours." I tell her disapprovingly.

"I was hungry," she says with a shrug.

"It's fine."

I turn and look at Caroline as she walks into the kitchen. Her face is flushed from her run. Caroline is the type of woman I would hit on if I would've seen her at a bar. She has a heart shaped face with hazel eyes and dark auburn hair that she has tied back into a ponytail right now. She's a beautiful woman. I'm not going to pretend she's not attractive.

"I really don't mind," she says as she reaches out and puts two more slices after Brianna takes hers out of the toaster.

"I'll buy some more today," I say to her. "There will also be someone coming to cook."