CHAPTER 17

CAROLINE

It's just wine.

Just innocent, red wine.

I'll have a glass then go back to my room and sleep.

Yeah, right, Caroline. You know damn well it's not just wine. Who are you trying to fool?

I sigh and look around the kitchen as if it could give me advice. Okay...

It's just sex.

Just one time.

We'll have sex and then I can finally move on from this ridiculous lust I feel for Xander Sullivan.

I take a step forward and then I stop and sigh. No. What am I doing? I can't do this. Brianna's room is right across from Xander's-what if she hears us? And what about all the other reasons I keep wanting to forget? Why am I even considering this?

I wish I could call someone to give me the common sense that I seem to lose whenever I'm anywhere near Xander. The fact that the only person I could call is the woman that has been sleeping with him is enough for some of that common sense to kick back in. I know they're not exclusive. Sandra isn't his girlfriend and she doesn't have any feelings for him. Still, it's weird that she doesn't know. There will definitely be some level of betrayal.

I place my hands on the kitchen island and put my head down, holding onto the little common sense that is starting to kick in. I take a couple deep breaths. Jeez. One would think this is a life or death matter with the mini mental breakdown I'm having.

I close my eyes and think about the way I felt yesterday when he touched me in the bathtub. If his hand felt that good-it's just sex...

You don't have to worry about anything with me. I don't make love, Caroline. I fuck.

I straighten up, suddenly feeling an ache in between my legs. Xander caused it. It's only fair that he relieves me from this. We'll have sex. No one will ever have to know. I'll move out next weekend and I won't ever have to worry about seeing Xander again.

Before I know it, I'm walking out of the kitchen. I'm rounding the corner when I the sound of the doorbell ringing makes me stop.

I frown then I turn around and stare at the front door for a second. It's past midnight, who could it be at this hour? It rings a second time and I walk to it. I look through the peephole and my heart skips a beat when I see that it's a police officer. I gulp slowly and then I reach out and unlock the door. I open it slowly.

Standing on the doorstep is a police officer with a woman that looks very familiar. She has brown hair down to her shoulders and high cheekbones with a perfect straight nose and blue eyes. She's wearing jeans with over the knee black boots with heels and a crop top with a black jacket on top. She's tall and beautiful. I realize with shock that it's Kendra Sullivan.

Kendra is Xander's sister and she's also a very famous model. I think I saw a mascara commercial featuring her just the other night on TV. She looks just as stunning as she looks in pictures and commercials which shouldn't surprise me. She is a Sullivan after all.

"Excuse me, miss, is this Xander Sullivan's house?" the police officer asks and I realize he's carrying a designer suitcase which is probably Kendra's.

"Yes, this is my brother's house," Kendra says as she looks at me with a frown. "Who are you?"

I cross my arms on my chest, remembering that I'm in my pajamas. I'm standing in front of a supermodel. It's hard not to feel intimidated. "Uh-"

"Kendra?"

I turn to look at Xander as he stands next to me. He's shirtless and he looks at the cop then at his sister. "What is going on here?"