CHAPTER 16

CAROLINE

What just happened?

The house is silent again after Xander leaves and it's almost as if he was never here...except he was. I reach for my glass of wine as I think about how good it felt to have Xander's hand in between my legs. I didn't even try to resist him. I wanted him to touch me and I could tell how much he wanted me to let him in his eyes. If he wouldn't have gotten that phone call, we would be having sex right now for sure.

That's why it's good that we got interrupted...though it's so hard not to feel disappointed. The tension between us builds up whenever we're in the same room. Maybe this tension will leave if I give in and have sex with him. Just one time.

I shake my head. "No, Caroline. Stop it."

I sigh then I stand up and step out of the bathtub onto the bathroom mat. I reach out for the robe on the back of the door and put it on then I start draining the bathtub. I sit on the edge of it where Xander was sitting and watch the water go down the drain. This is definitely the most memorable bath I've ever had in my life but now I have to forget about it.

How am I going to look at Xander in the eye after that? I suddenly begin to feel embarrassed. He probably thinks I spread my legs open for anyone. All because I lost my self-control for a few minutes.

Feeling more embarrassed with each passing second, I make my way out of Xander's room where I should've never went in the first place. It seems like I can't stop making bad decisions. Will I ever learn?

I get in the shower still thinking about being in that bathtub with Xander's hand trailing up my leg under the water. It felt so good but it was way too easy for him to do that. He tries to seduce me every time we're alone and I keep falling for it.

My conscience doesn't let me fall asleep easily that night. I lie on the bed in the dark just staring at the ceiling and thinking about all the reasons I should leave this house. I should leave tomorrow. I should leave before I make a bigger mess of my life by sleeping with Xander.

I'm still awake when I hear Xander and Brianna get home.

"I can't believe you told him that!" Brianna yells and then I hear her run up the stairs.

"You're not going to see him again, do you hear me?" I hear Xander say out in the hallway and I sit up on the bed.

"He's my boyfriend!" Brianna says and it's clear in her voice that she's been crying. "You can't prohibit me from seeing him!"

"Yes, I can," Xander says to her. "You're going around ditching class and throwing parties and now you're sneaking out in the middle of the fucking night to go hang out with some loser? You really think he cares about you?"

"Shut up!" Brianna yells. "You don't know anything about him."

"I know that he doesn't respect you," Xander says. "If he did, he wouldn't ask you to sneak out in the middle of the night."

"He didn't make me do anything! I wanted to go!"

"Brianna." Xander says and I hear the anger in his voice. "You're not going to see him again. End of discussion."

"You ruin everything!" Brianna yells angrily. "I hate you!"

I frown at her words and turn to look at the door. The light from the hallway shines through the edge on the bottom. Brianna's words bring a wave of sadness over me and I bite my lower lip. Those are the exact same words I said to my father the last time I saw him. I hate you. Right after he told me to go to hell.

"You can hate me all you want," Xander says to Brianna. "I'm not going to let you ruin your own life."

"You're so annoying! I want to go live with Sebastian!"