CHAPTER 18

CAROLINE

I wake up before six the next morning and go for a run. I start off with a light jog like usual but my brain keeps wondering back to Xander so I push myself and change it up to a sprint. I run until I'm too out of breath to think about anything. I slow down when I begin to feel the familiar pain in my stomach, an indication that my body isn't getting enough oxygen. I stop and put my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath.

My head is pounding and it takes a couple minutes before I can catch my breath. When I straighten up, my body aches and I wince in pain. I really outdid myself today and I blame Xander Sullivan. I'm trying to run away from the lust I feel for him literally.

I continue walking down the sidewalk and I frown when I see a group of paparazzi standing outside by the curb of the house. They all have cameras and are chatting, probably waiting to get a glimpse of Kendra Sullivan. I'm sure the whole world knows someone broke into her house by now and word must've gone out that she came to her brother's house.

I pull the cap lower and put my head down as I get closer. They don't pay any attention to me until they realize that I'm walking to the house.

"Hey, what's your name? Do you live here?"

"What can you tell us about Kendra Sullivan's house being robbed last night?"

"Do you know Kendra Sullivan?"

"Is Kendra planning on staying here for long?"

I keep my head down and ignore their questions as I hurry to the front door. I can hear the cameras flashing and I pray that they don't get a picture of my face.

I unlock the door and get in quickly then I shut the door as soon as I'm inside. I bite my lip nervously thinking about how bad it would be if they were able to get a decent picture of my face outside of Xander Sullivan's house.

"They're here for Kendra."

I turn around and look at Brianna. She's sitting on one of the stools by the kitchen island, eating cereal. She's dressed for school. I'm sure Xander will come down to drive her shortly.

"Uh, yeah, I figured," I say nervously.

"Is something wrong?" she asks.

I shake my head quickly as I walk into the kitchen. "No, I'm just tired from my run and these people exhausted me even more. They have no sense of personal space."

"Yeah, I know."

I look at her. "Do they harass you too?"

"No, nobody cares about me." she jokes.

I look at her and think about what it's like to be Brianna Sullivan for a moment. She's the youngest of five and was the last only one living with their parents before they both passed away less than six months ago. All of her siblings have lives and empires of their own. One of them is a CEO, the other one is a very successful actor, her sister is a beautiful famous model and I know her other brother is in a boy band that is very hot right now.

Apart from Xander, the rest of her siblings are followed by eager paparazzi 24/7 and I know her parents were too. In Brianna's eyes, the world loves her siblings and couldn't care less about her. I'm sure that must make her feel unimportant on some level. Maybe that's why her parents chose Xander as her guardian in case something were to ever happen to them. Xander is a businessman and he's not in the public eye nearly as much as the others are. His life is probably the most private from the Sullivan's and thanks to that, Brianna has a somewhat more normal life.

"Well, I see that as a win," I say, smiling at her.

She smiles at me and then she looks down at her cereal. She grabs a spoonful and puts it in her mouth. I take off my cap then I grab a paper towel and dry the sweat from my face and neck. My face feels flushed from the run and I'm thinking of going to take a shower when Kendra walks into the kitchen.