What did you do?

Chapter 5

Gray pulls back from Juvia and grabs his chest. A burst of energy flows through his body. Juvia touches her lips in shock, the lingering feeling of Gray's soft lips still implanted in the memory of her flesh.

  Gray's daze seems to fade as his mind comes back to this current plane. He grabs his chest in agony, it felt like a bolt of lightening had struck him the instant his lips landed on the mermaid's.

His brother who almost had tears in his eyes reaches out to him " Gray?" he asks his tone dripping with worry.

Gray looks around him, slowly all the faces before him became recognizable. Lyon slings Gray's arm over his shoulder and helps him up. Gray shakes his head trying to wake himself.

"Actually" he manages looking up at Juvia, confusion riddling his face " I feel... great"

Shouts are heard down the passage way drawing all attention to it.

"Tsk, they haven't given up have they"  Gajeel says getting ready to fight again.

Gray takes a deep breath, the stench of decaying demon flesh gracing his nostrils " Let me" he says "I have a bone to pick with them"

Gray steps forward and balances himself, cracking his knuckles and cricking his neck.

"We need someone alive Gray" Lyon warns watching as his brother disappears into the darkness an evil grin on his face.

Juvia was still dazed from the kiss. "How dare he !"

 Again, without warning he takes advantage of her kindness then just leaves. The contact sent fires under her skin, her cheeks flush red as she took in everything that just happened. Her eyes shut tight as several scenarios ran through her mind all ending with Gray drowning in her magic.

Lyon laughs awkwardly looking between his brother's retreating figure and Juvia fuming.

"Mission complete . Now it's time we get out of here don't cha think" Natsu says as he steps back into the passage

Gajeel leads the way as the party exits the cave. The stench of decaying bodies grew as they proceeded to the exit. As they exited, the mere sight brought fear yet a strong sense of pride into their hearts. Gray had already began laying waste to the enemy, screams echoed against the trees as the enemy was now retreating. Juvia's knees buckle as she looks on.

Gray looks the same as he did that day on the beach. This time, however, he was the one in control. He viciously tore the men apart, limb from limb with a wicked smile stretching across his Adonis like face. His army looks on in awe, Juvia looks on in horror. This obvious contrast between the helpless man she saw before and this maniac was astounding to her.

"Did I really do the right thing?"

"You monster!" A man screams before lunging at Gray from behind, Gray grabs him by his throat with ease, he punches his assailant and knocks him out in one go before tossing him to Gajeel.

"We bring this one" He says "He has balls" Gray turns to the rest of the enemies continuing his assault. Natsu takes a small step forward but Gray growls, he refuses to let the other demon lords help him. His growl laced with the threat that if they even raised a finger he would kill them too.

They all stood and watched as their king asserted his dominance again.

*

   The Journey back to Tartarus was quiet for the most part, aside from the prisoner's tormented screams. Gray has used his ability on the man. On the outside, he was covered in a black aura screaming in agony. Within Gray's magic his body was being torn limb from limb. Gray was torturing him, breaking him. Juvia hugs her arms to her body closely, the memory of her own torture shaking her bones.

Gray sat silently on his horse, the surge of adrenaline that he felt as he clawed through the demons slowly fading away. His gaze constantly drifting to Juvia who rode ahead of him. The last time he saw her she was bleeding out on the shores of Galuna Island. Ultear sauntered over to him, her nails covered in Juvia's blood, that devilish smile he knew too well advancing upon him. Ultear leaned forward and whispered into his ear

"I'll kill her."

This was all she said. His heart sank at the thought, it was just words, but it was enough for him to stop resisting. After he had been taken away, it all felt like a dream. His body was drained to the point of unconsciousness several times but they would simply rejuvenate him and start all over again.

Gray shakes his head, bringing himself back to reality. A hand rests on Gray's shoulder, he jumps back a little, his defenses up. He looks back at his attacker and sighs in relief realizing that it's his brother.

"We're back" Lyon says looking pass his brother and gesturing towards the castle. Gray looks back and at him home. His soldiers had already departed, the dragon lords unmounted from their horses had already started heading inside.

Juvia jumps down from her horse and hands it over to the caretaker, she feels Gray's eyes on her, watching her. She tries her best to avoid eye contact with him.

"Gray" Lyon says drawing back his brother's attention "You'll have to address the demon lords regarding your return"

Gray says nothing but nods in agreement. Lyon leads his brother towards the castle doors, Gray gives Juvia one last look before disappearing through the doors.

*

"Recently, some children have decided to make some noise within my kingdom" Gray stares blankly into the communication lacrima . At this moment, a live broadcast was being sent throughout the Demon Kingdom, demons of all ages and sizes are able to see it. Their King in all his glory "Going against the kingdom of Tartarus means certain death. Those found aiding and or harboring these rebels will be deemed traitors to the nation and will be punished as such." The connection cuts

That was all Gray said but it was enough. The demons know their king. A man of few words when it came to addressing them. It was a threat. A threat well received.

Lyon sighs as his brother finishes, he stands in silence afterwards. Deafening as it was, Lyon couldn't hold back his concern "What happened to you?" he blurts out

Gray tenses, his eyes fall, he pushes away from his desk and circles to the front of it where he leans back with his arms folded. "I'm here now so it doesn't matter"

Lyon glances at the gash that traveled from his brother's neck disappearing at the edge of his collar  " That ones not healing Gray"

"You managed well this time" Gray ignores his brother's questioning and glances around him, the room was much neater than it would've been if he was here, it smells better too, stacks of parchments neatly placed at the corners of the desk. The once scattered piles of books were neatly places on bookshelves, all the broken glasses were repaired and his portrait was no longer tilted.

"You can't keep evading me brother" Lyon says a bit irritated

"I've been doing it for centuries and it has worked fine" Gray jokes, his finger tracing along the edges of the parchments

"Gray it's been a year...You disappeared..Juvia disappeared, blood everywhere, the amount of bodies!" Lyon exclaims pacing about

Gray begins counting the parchments in the stack, his attention oddly drawn to it. Lyon rambles on about how worried he was, Gray slides down his finger along the stack once more and stops randomly, dragging out the piece of parchment almost to the bottom of the pile.

Lyon continues to pace, Gray turns his attention to the words before him. His eyes scan the parchment over and over again, his heartbeat racing. It falls from his fingers and lands on the floor.

"What did you do..." He says almost as a whisper

Lyon stops pacing and looks at his brother "Huh-"

"What did you do!?" Gray shouts, slamming his hand against the office desk. He blots towards the door

Lyon tries to stop him but is pushed back. Lyon watches as his brother leaves yet again slamming the door against the cobblestone walls so hard the castle seemed to shake. He turns his gaze to the parchment that now sat slanted on the ground. Lyon grabs it and scans the page as well before charging after his brother.