«Chapter XXIX»

:(

"Took you long enough," Zach leans on the arm rest of the chair you're sitting on, an annoyed expression eminent on his face. "Been trying to get that inside your head these past years."

Shrugging your shoulders, you jest. "You could have tried a little harder."

"So it's on me now?" He snorts incredulously. "My fault that you're dense?"

"I just...-I don't know.." Words tumble messily out of your lips. "Maybe its always been like this from the start you know? It just took long for me to realise it."

To say that you were going crazy is an understatement, who would've thought you would find yourself thinking of an explanation to what you were blindly experiencing. "I admit that she rendered me speechless when I first saw her but....-it was not love at for sight or anything."

Pondering hard. "Its was familiarity...maybe when I saw her for the first time, my heart had been telling me that its her."

You pinch the bridge of your nose, mind in a haywire. "The times that I was always drawn to her was when my heart tried to tell me that it's going to be her. Spending days with her was where my feelings intensified, and the time she's not around, I feel like a was.... lost. It was just last night that I found out I'm in love with her."

Zach kept quiet for the time being, letting you express what you were feeling. When you turn to him for any comments he parted his lips.

"Fucking finally!" He yells in triumph, pumping his fist in the air. "What're you going to do now? You gonna date her officially? So crookshanks finally both your kid? Can I be the uncle-"

"Zach shut up!" You groan in aggravation, face dug on your palm. "I called you here not only to talk about me."

"What is it then?"

"I figured out the golden egg."

"Really?" He moves to seat in front of you, torso leaning forward giving all of his attention. "How? When?"

"Last night when I was in the prefects bathroom- before you ask, our prefect let me for the night." You inform him in advance. "The egg was talking, not the egg exactly but you get it."

"Underwater I heard disembodied voices coming from it, talking- singing." You mull over the melodic tune echoing in your mind as you recall the events last night.

"Come seek us where our voices sound, We cannot sing above the ground, And while you're searching ponder this; We've taken what you'll sorely miss," You quote.

"Cannot sing above the ground huh? Sounds like merpeople to me. " Zach scratched his chin in thought.

"If it is, then maybe the second task would be at the black lake." You agree, then quote the last remaining clue. "An hour long you'll have to look, And to recover what we took, But past an hour, the prospect's black, Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

"What does that mean?"

"If we're right about merpeople, means you need an hour long to breathe under water and retrieve something they took." You speculate uncertainly.

"What could that be?"

You shrug. "I don't know, something important to you, maybe."

Zach contemplatively stares at the flame crackling in the furnace, brows knitted together. Sensing your gaze, he sees your expecting look and he groans.

"Library?" He sighs in defeat, watching you stand up.

You grin pleasantly. "Thought you'd never notice."